cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Crystal Reports & CR Server 2008 V1 with/over CR XI R2 SP4

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been given the task of upgrading our Crystal Reports & CR Server from XI R2 SP4 (11.5.10.1275) to CR 2008 (prefer CR 2008 V1). Prior, we would be upgrading the underlying DBMS from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 first OR doing a co-existing SQL 2008 install as well.

I believe that if we are able to have CR / CR Server 2008 & CR / CR Server XI R2 co-exist on the same server, then my upgrade/ Install takes on a totally different tact.

NOTE: We currently run CR Developer, CR Server & CR InfoView all on the One Server due to costs and size, but we do have another smaller Server available to be utilised as part of the Upgrade. The new install of CR 2008 would also have to have all apps (CR, CR Developer, CR Server) exist on the same sever.

Our system is fairly static and mainly Batch driven with no Online Transactions. Data is collected from many sources daily, weekly and monthly. The CR primary function is to provide Monthly SLA Reporting to Management via CR InfoView.

These are some specific CR 2008 Install questions

1. Confirm if Crystal Reports (and CR Developer) 2008 V1 & Crystal Reports Server 2008 V1 can co-exist on the same server with our Existing versions of Crystal Reports & CR Server (i.e. XI R2 SP4) . If so, can we install this and then migrate all of our reports including shortcuts and reports for existing reports in CR XI repository to CR 2008.

2. Would you be able to direct me how we remove CR XI R2 and CR Server XI R2 once all is migrated to CR 2008 - if they can co-exist on the same server. Do we just uninstall CR XI R2 from Control Panel after install of CR 2008 or would that present problems?

3. Confirm can we load CR Server 2008 V1 rather than V0 from a fresh install on our server? The doco from the web site seems to indicate this.

4. Confirm can we load CR 2008 V1 rather than V0? Likewise, the doco from the web site seems to indicate.

5. If we are able to a coexist install, what effect would this have to our existing CR system, being a Production environment?

6. I have checked the web site and have found references to BusinessObjects Enterprise Planning Guide, but can not find it on

the web site. Possibly this guide will answer some of my questions.

7. Will CR XI R2 run under SQL 2008?

8. Will CR 2008 run under SQL 2005?

9. If I do the CR 2008 install, in which order do i do the install... ie CR Server 2008 first then CR 2008 or visa versa.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member59613
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

I've done my best to answer your questions below. For official best practices, I would recommend opening a message on the support site.

A1) In theory they can co-exist but I would seriously consider the supportability and potential headaches that could be caused by having so many versions of the software installed on one machine. If you are worried about the costs of a new server, have you considered virtualization instead? Run VMWare on this server with multiple images. This will keep the runtime clean for each VM Image and provide you an easy backup/restore method.

A2) This is done through the Add/Remove programs. Ensure that you back out any patches/SPs that exist in there first. In reverse order of your install. For example, uninstall SP4 first, then the base product.

A3) Yes, you can install CR Server 2008 V1. This is a stand-alone install and not an upgrade.

A4) Same as above.

A5) Filenames are the same but in most cases, they are contained within their own seperate directories. I have seen some issues with mixed runtime versions in the past and the risk is that one version of CRS will load runtime from a different version. This is of course not a supported/tested scenario so the behavior is often unexpected and difficult to narrow down root cause. Again, I would recommend virtualization as a way for them to co-exist on the same physical machine OR remove the previous versions afterwards.

A6) [XI3.1 Deployment Planning Guide (Secure - Requires S-User ID)|http://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700001647142008E/xi3-1_bip_deploy_plan_en.pdf]

A7) Will it run? Probably. Is it tested/supported? nope. [CR XI R2 - SP6 - Supported Platforms guide (Secure)|http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01200252310000088527&_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&_OBJECT=011000358700001495652009E]

A8) Yes, Tested and supported [CR 2008 - SP2 - Supported Platforms Guide (Secure)|http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000731315&_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&_OBJECT=011000358700001089782009E]

A9) CR Server 2008. CR 2008 I believe is the best way

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jonathon,

Thnaks for the reply, extremely helpful.

I think I have heaps of questions, but another important one that has come up:

1. Is is possible, rather than install a new version and migrate, to upgrade straight to CR 2008 over the top of CR XI R2?

2. If possible, would this retain all the Report Templates and Reports that already exist within the Repository of the existing CR XI R2 and be usable within the newly installed CR 2008?

3. Any issues if we go this way?

former_member59613
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm assuming that you mean upgrade CR Server 2008 and not CR 2008.

Yes, you can do an upgrade install. This essentially just installs the new version of CR Server 2008, migrates your objects over to the new system and then disables the previous version. Once the new version is tested, you can then uninstall the previous version.

The upgrade guide below covers this

[CR 2008 Upgrade Guide|http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/crs2008V1/en/crs_08_v1_upgrade_en.pdf]

This does retain/migrate your objects over to the newer version so you shouldn't have to worry about losing your objects. To be safe though, ensure you have a backup of the current FRS and system database before you do the upgrade.

No issues that I know of if you do the upgrade.

Hope that helps,

Jb

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jonathon,

I meant Ugrading our existing CR XI R2 & CR Server XI R2 to CR 2008 & CR Server 2008.

i.e. If we run the CR Server 2008 & CR 2008 Installs, can we run this as an Upgrade to the existing CR XI R2 & CR Server XI R2 application and associated Objects - and not having to migrate the exiting objects.

Thanks again for the response. It is very much appreciated.

Answers (0)