cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process cannot access the file error when running SSIS Admin Task to Create

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

When I run the SSIS Admin Task to Create a Dimension, I get the following error message:

- The process cannot access the

file "F:\BPC\Data\Webfolders\DMSales\System Files\SALESREP.DIM"

because it is being used by another process. : Location(MakeMemberLookUp)

If I run the task from SSIS directly it seems to complete successfully, but I can't tell for sure. It fails every single time when run from the Data Manager.

I have tried recreating the that dimension file(thinking that my old file is corrupted) but still i am facing the same issue.

Request you to provide some suggestions in this context that helps in fixing this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

GaneshT

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sorin_radulescu
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi

I don't know the reason because you are trying to access that file but it will never work.

That file is used by COM+ components to take the information and you should never use that file for any other process.

If you want to use a file with info about dimension then you can use the excel file from Admin folder.

I hope this will help you.

Regards

Sorin Radulescu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Soren,

Thanks for your inputs. In fact i too not clear about that error, why it is trying to accessing that file.

When I created the SalesRep dimension in our ApShell environment and processed the MakeDim, everything ran successfully. So, I figured I just needed to re-create the SalesRep Dimension in our DBSales environment.

In order to re-build the SalesRep dimension, I have to remove it from the Applications. When I try to modify the CB_Sales application, I get the following message:

Error message:: Access to the

path "F:\BPC\Data\Webfolders\AdminTemplates\AuditRpt.rdl" is denied.

This occurs on Step 8 of the Modify Application Process.

Rebooting the machine resolved the issue with Modifying the Application. Once I rebooted, I was able to modify the application, recreate the SalesRep Dimension and attempted to Re-Run the MakeDim task.

The task is still failing with the following message:

The process cannot access the

file "F:\BPC\Data\Webfolders\CB_Sales\System Files\SALESREP.DIM" because it is being used by another process. : Location (MakeMemberLookUp)

Can you help me in understanding wrong and the probable fix for this issue.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

GaneshT

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have run into this issue before and I think the issue is that the dimension somehow got corrupted. I don't think there's a way to fix the existing dimension, so you'll have to create a copy and replace the current dim with the new one. Obviously, modifying the application will mess up the data so you'll need to make a back up of that. Here are the steps I'd recommend (I'll use Customer as an example dim name):

1. Make copies of the fact tables (or compress and make a copy of the one fact table)

2. Make a copy of the dim. Call it CustomerTemp.

• Copying the Customer dim is easiest, but I'm not sure the copy won't be corrupt as well so you may want to make a copy of a similar dim and rebuild all of the properties so that it's an exact replica of Customer.

3. Copy the members from Customer to CustomerTemp.

4. Delete Customer dimension.

5. Add CustomerTemp to the application.

• It may be easiest to now make a copy of CustomerTemp called Customer so that the name is the same as the old dim.

6. Check the MakeDIm process.

7. If successful just copy the data back from the backup tables and you should be all set.

Hope that helps.

Jimmy