cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST02 ---Swaps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

I am facing problem with SWAPS in ST02.I know the soloution like restarting the sytem/increasing the parametrers.Can any body help me in this issue with any other solution.i already restarted the system And one more thing is there any limit for swaps for each buffer.i am giving my PRD server swaps here.

Nametab (NTAB) swaps

Table definitio 1,342,725

Field definitio 910,742

Short NTAB

Initial records 970,789

program 2,527,221

CUA 3,473,889

Screen 119,352

Calendar

OTR

Tables

Generic Key 4,696

Single record 1,085

Export/import 11,735,724

Exp./ Imp. SHM

Thanks&Regards,

chaitanya.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chaitanya,

That is an amazing number of buffer swaps. How long has this instance been up (the header in ST02 will show you this)? Have you recently run a mass load generation (SGEN) - that can cause hunderds of thousands of swaps in just a few hours? If these numbers are a result of normal activity, then it looks like some buffers are severely underconfigured. It is possible to advie you on improved settings but for that I will need: (a) current parameter settings, (b) RAM of your server, (c) database on same server / other SAP systems on same server?, (d) an idea of the activity level (typical no. of concurrent users, no. of dialog steps/workday).

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chaitaniya first of all whenever you post any thread regarding Parameters in ST02 please mention your OS also.Windows Memory Managent will be different from UNIX flavours.Now coming to your question.I agree with Juan that you need to tune the parameters properly for less swap.It's an art.The more you practise the better you will tune.Just a suggestion check your DEV -QA Parameter Settings & try to analyse PRD settings.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chaitanya,

The only way to control the amount of swaps the system produce is to fine tune the system parameters, a system restart only clear the existing ones but does not prevent swaps for happening...

is there any limit for swaps for each buffer

Nope, it will swap as many times as it needs to...

Can any body help me in this issue with any other solution?

As mention above the only solution is to tune your parameters and keep your kernel updated, small amount of swaps in ok, but excesive swaping it can go in detriment of your system performance.

I can tell you that 2,527,221 swaps in your program buffer simply means that its probably too small and so on... you'll have to spend time looking into it.

This is a well documented issue... search, research, read, test...

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jaun,

Thankyou for your quick response.

Thanks&Regards,

kiranchaitanya.