Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Visual Studio .NET 2003 Crystal Reports Errors

We have a program that was developed in Visual Studio .NET 2003 using VB.

It has been running for at least 3 years without any errors on an IBM 346 server with Windows Server 2003 (at 12 different locations). When the server at one of the locations was replaced with a brand new HP ProLiant DL380 G6, we started getting some weird error messages.

Here are the errors that we see during the Printing of the reports:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.InvalidArgumentException: Error in File C:\DOCUME1\ADMINI1\LOCALS~1\Temp\temp_4f42305d-3c2a-4929-88e1-d2884e368c54.rpt:

Invalid printer specified.

Please note that the reports are printed on average four times an hour. The errors are intermittent. The printing could be fine for the first print job, the second one will generate one of the errors, and the third one right after could be fine. Each time the code is the same, just calling different report files.

Please help! I've been banging my head against the wall for weeks on this one! I've already upgraded the Crystal Reports Runtime on the affected server to the latest patch: CRNET11WIN (https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006007652008E/crnet11win_en.pdf). This patch did help a little bit. I don't see the errors as often. Maybe once or twice every 2 days. It used be at least twice a day prior to this patch. We also had some other error message prior to applying this patch, which was:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.InternalException: Error in File C:\DOCUME1\ADMINI1\LOCALS~1\Temp\temp_7a62bc6a-4940-4c9e-a9c6-fd85187eb944.rpt:

The request could not be submitted for background processing.

Former Member
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question