cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

logarithm calulations possible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts

We are still on MDM 5.5 and I got a request from business for pricing calculations. This calculation contains some logarithm with base 10. I am quite sure that MDM does not offer Log operations, stil I wanted to ask you.

Can anybody give me advice?

Thanks a lot

Pascal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I feel standard MDM component Data manager does not provide any algorithm feature. But in Case you have Java Application, you can use Java math class functions in conjunction with MDM Java APIs to achieve this.

If the pricing calculation is complex then better not to handle it in MDM, but if this is your business requirement then you can try the above method for price calculation.

Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shiv

Thanks for your reply. I thought I have to go this direction.

Just to make sure I understand correctly. What we have done in the past is a java WD that is used as Webpane im MDM Data Manager that concatenates different text elements based on some complex conditions. On user request, this WDJ collects records according to a mask and then generates the new text. So far so good.

What I'm looking for is an application that runs automatically on save without user request. Do you have an example for that?

Thank you very much, Shiv!

Regards

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

I think then you need to make use of WEBPANE in MDM Data Manager using custom application which will calculate value for for your field with logarithm with Base 10. For this you will also create a new field say log with base 10 of type text which will retrieve this value from your custom application.

In Console you will define URL in link as below:

http://XXXXXXXXXXXXXX?hl=en&q=<f:field code>

here give <f:XXX> where XXX is field code not field name whose value you want to convert with logarithm with base 10.

I think as you give there field code which will automatically pass this field value to application which contains this logic to convert it into logarithm with base 10 , you can try this using giving this url e.g.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=<f:XXX> as soon as you will click on any record this field value pass to this google search, similarly when you create that application you can pass this required value and then need to populate this field log with base 10 using this application.

For more details refer MDM Console Guide: page no 317/403

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/4b/71608566ae3260e10000000a42189b/MDMConsole71.pdf

Also refer, http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70260b78-ff89-2a10-5eb0-d2f514675...

Hope this helps..

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear both

your feedback was very well appreciatated!

I understand all the options I have and have to decide on my own which way to go, in accordance with the business requirement!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

If you are looking for Is the number divisible by 10 with no remainder or not?

This is possible, please see 278/654 see fig 171 using 11 of MDM Data Manager Reference guide,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/4b/72b8aaa42301bae10000000a42189b/MDMDataManager71.p...

Hope this helps

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep

thank you for your answer but this is not what I was looking for. We use this logarithms for the pricing curve.

Regards

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

If you are using PI, you can convert this value from Source system to target MDM system structure using UDF (User-defined Function). This will take care of converting any value to log with base 10. You can handle this using PI.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep

thanks for your input. Although we have SAP PI in our environment, we don't use is it for MDM as we do not transfer data from ERP (or other systems) to MDM. (We create the records in MDM directly).

I guess the only two options I have are a) call an external Java functions (however this is implemented) or b) re-build the LOG Base 10 calculation in MDM with basic arithmetic methods (this is going to be a very long string!).

I will see which way to go. Still, I am very thankful for every inputs to any approach!

Thank you

Pasci

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would not prefer 2nd option "Re-build the LOG Base 10 calculation in MDM with basic arithmetic methods" as this is gonna be tuff and mind cracking..

If you are creating New records in MDM through portal or custom application, then may be you can put small logic to update prices in MDM based on LOG while record creation itself.

One more approach which i can think of, can be using MDM ABAP API in ECC. You can schedule a report to update price based on LOG. I think there will be some standard ABAP functions to support this calculation in ECC. I am not sure about pros and cons of this method. Let me check if this is feasible or not.

Regards,

Shiv