Crystal reports slowness with embedded word documents
We are using Crystal Reports Designer 2008 to create reports & documents in our product. With version 2008, more and more customers are reporting of slowness in document preview. It can take up to minutes before they can print a document. CRRuntime12_0_mlb.msi is used as the runtime.
We did some tests:
- Linked word documents in an .rpt file : print preview took ~30 seconds
- Removed links and embedded the documents in the .rpt file: print preview took ~12 seconds
- This slowness increased dramatically with 2008
- 12 seconds is still too slow
- We tried installing designer on the workstation, but the speed remained the same.
Is there something we can do ASAP to this issue? Customers are getting angry as they need to do a lot of prints these times of the year.
I was not sure if I should use SAP notes or this forum. But creating notes has been made so difficult for end users like me, so I created a forum post instead. Please direct me to the correct place if this is wrong!
Don Williams replied
And rather than going back to the RDC open a report and check on the option to Dissociate.... in the Page Setup menu option. Sometimes checking on the option No Printer can speed things up also.
Also check the Database options and DO NOT verify on first refresh or when Driver updated etc. This will cause delays also. When you publish your reports set them to the same data sources as they will be using at runtime to optimize database connectivity.