Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup/Restore.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I need help for Backup.

We hav db2 9.1 fp7 and erp 6.0.

We dont have any backup tool to take the backup online or ofline.

I am using control center to take the offline bckup.

I chane LOGARCHMETH1 to disk now archive logs are stoing in the disk.

online logs log_dir is in circulr log only. offline logs now storing in archive folder created in disk.

1) after taking the offline backup can i delete the archive logs manully? beacuse it is occupying the space.

or do i need to run any sql statament please give me the command.

2) for taking the online backup i want to run the scripts. can any body help me the script.

Is it possible to shedule the archive logs backup using DB13? if not how to shedule this.

please provide me complete Backup stratagy for the Dev, and quality and prodcution servers.

thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rakesh,

1) after taking the offline backup can i delete the archive logs manully? beacuse it is occupying the space.

or do i need to run any sql statament please give me the command.

>>> You need to delete the archived logs manually. However since the archived logs are part of your restore set, you need to be careful in deleting these log files. You need to determine how far back you want to be able to restore back to and then keep all the log files from that backup onwards. Remember, the database restore is only as good as the log files and so even if you are missing one log file, all the log files beyond that point are useless. There are automated tools such as TSM which will delete log files for you based on your retention strategy. Also ensure that archive logs are backed up to secondary storage (tape) before they are deleted (inside your retention period).

2) for taking the online backup i want to run the scripts. can any body help me the script.

>>> You can kick off online backups using scripts. I am not sure if you are running on a UNIX based system or windows, but on UNIX systems, you can schedule backups via scripts scheduled through crontab.

3) Is it possible to shedule the archive logs backup using DB13? if not how to shedule this.

>>> I am not sure I understood your question. Archiving log files are done automatically by DB2 once you set LOGARCHMETH1. Moving log files to tape can be scheduled through DB13, (its an option under the action pad). However, we prefer to do it directly via backend scripts and utilities.

please provide me complete Backup stratagy for the Dev, and quality and prodcution servers.

>>> Backup strategy depends on your business requirements, your retention period, size of the databases etc. In our landscape, our strategy is:

SBX: Full online twice a week and archive logs backup everyday.

DEV: Full online daily

QA : Full online daily (snapshot backup)

Performance: Full online, once a week and archive logs backup everyday.

PROD: Full online daily (snapshot backup), archive logs backup twice a day + HA + DR.

HTH!

- Sameer

0 Kudos

Hello Rakesh,

in addition to the excellent explanation provided by Sameer, I like to point you to the following documentation

[A Practical Guide to Backup and Recovery of IBM DB2 for Linux, UNIX and Windows in SAP Environments Part 1: Backup and Recovery - Overview|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/80e61772-e471-2c10-60b1-9529b69b50c5]

Hans-Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sameer for reply

We have windows 2003 operating system. We dont have any seperate Backup tool So I have to use SAP given tools only. Either contol center or DB13.

Now can you tell me how the backup i can take

I am using DB13 to take the online backup but How to take the archive logs backup online.

thanks alot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rakesh,

Logs are automatically archived from the active log directory to the archive log directory by DB2 once you set LOGARCHMETH1.

i.e:

Once you set logarchmeth1 to disk:<archivelogpath> DB2 will automatically copy log files from the active log directory to the archive log directory specified in logarchmeth1.

If you want to automate the process of moving the "archived" log files from the archive log directory to a tape device connected to your windows server, then go to transaction db13, schedule a new action at an appropriate time, choose "archive inactive log files to device", select the mounted tape drive, choose the recurrence options based on how often you want this backed up to tape, select or unselect "delete log files" based on whether you want SAP to delete the log files or whether you want to do this manually and then finally hit ADD. The documents mentioned by Hans will most likely have very detailed description of this process.

- Sameer