Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Post Installation Tasks after Oracle DB Update to patch set 10.2.0.4

Hello gurus,

I´m doing the installation of a system ECC 6.0 + Oracle DB on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.

The sapinst stopped, at phase 8, asking to install the Oracle database... and so I did that, I installed Oracle DB and after that I update the patch set to 10.2.0.4 version.

But now I´m faccing with a problem which related with "Post Installation Tasks" after I finished the update of Oracle 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.4.

In README file (which are in the package of patch set file) it describe what I have to do after this installation patch set and one of this tasks is "Manually Upgrading a Release 10.2 Database" :

Complete the following sections to upgrade an Oracle Database 10g release 10.2.0.x to Oracle Database 10g release 10.2.0.4:

1.Run the Pre-Upgrade Information Tool

2.Upgrading a Release 10.2 Database

3.Missing Components When Upgrading

When I try to run the second point of that: "Upgrading a Release 10.2 Database" I found this following error:

redhatsap:orajmd> sqlplus /nolog
SQL> connect /as sysdba
Connected to an idle instance
SQL> STARTUP UPGRADE
ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
LRM-00109: could not open parameter file '/oracle/JMD/102_64/dbs/initJMD.ora'

Note: Take into account this... before I doing that, I already start the Oracle Listener with command > lsnrctl start I don´t knew but I thought this was the solution for the error.

So, my question is how can I solve this, I mean, what I have to do to run that comand STARTUP UPGRADE and the others that is mandatory in this phase of post installation of patch set 10.2.0.4. And in your opinion what is necessary to do after this update patch set!??

Best regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Former Member replied

Hi,

First thing you need to download the intreame patches from the marketplace.

Downloads->Database Patches->Oracle->Oracle 10.2.0.4-> Database RDBMS-> select the OS type and then dpwnload the patches other than BIN and CPU patches.

Once after download

check the note 1137346

Here we can see few of the patches are exclusively for specific platforms only. example

38. Patch 5777467 Base Bug(s): 5777467 (*PRT: Linux Itanium)

above patch is only for Linux Itanium> if ur not using this platform you may have to scip this patch that is 5777467.

Then check the note 1027012 on how to use the MOPatch tool.

then check the note 830576 for parameter recomendations. This will internally has L lot of notes. You have to read those noted carefully and if it says do not set then it should not be there in the spfile.

use oracle commands to reset the parameter.

I think this will clear your doubts.

Thanks,

Chaitanya

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question