cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java stack installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have installaed only ABAP stack (ECC6.0 EHP1 ready). Now there is a requirement to apply Java Stack too.

Should we run try to install it through /sapinst once again ? Anbody tried to apply AS-JAVA on a running system (ABAP stack) ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi my friend

You could install a Java instance to an existing ABAP instance by the option "install Java add-in" provided by SAPinst. But it's not a recommended solution for running ABAP and Java instance together other than PI and MI usage type, that's why SAP doesn't provide dual stack installation selected any more as of release 701.

Regards,

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Abap+ java is no more available as well as you cannot installing java addin for exisiting abap system. This is done for performance issue.

Pls refer the below note for your reference.

Note 855534 - Dual Stack and SAP Business Suite 7

Thanks

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Anil and Fan Yu.

But the note says if we want to use both ABAP + JAVA Components in our landscape then :-

If you want to use both SAP Business Suite ABAP and Java Components in your

system landscape, you have to proceed as follows:

1. Install a separate ABAP-based SAP Business Suite system.

2. Install the required Java components in a separate Java-based SAP

system.

3. Configure the connection of the Java-based SAP system to the ABAP-based

SAP Business Suite back-end system.

But whether anybody installed ECC system as two part in 2 different system ? How the connectivity will work ?

Actually my client is not sure 'why they need dual stack ECC Prod server ?'

Need a bit consulting advise here. What are functionalities will not be available in ECC Prod server if Java stack not installed ? ECC Prod box will be connected with EP (for ext/int custoners), PI,BI etc prod boxes. For EP communication with R/3 Prod whether JAVA stack is a must in R/3 server ?

Is there any BI 7.0 functionalities which need Java stack on R/3 prod end ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

> 2. Install the required Java components in a separate Java-based SAP system.

As it indicates, a separate AS Java.

> But whether anybody installed ECC system as two part in 2 different system ? How the connectivity will work ?

Jco connections do the communication work between ABAP and Java engine.

> Actually my client is not sure 'why they need dual stack ECC Prod server ?'

> Need a bit consulting advise here. What are functionalities will not be available in ECC Prod server if Java stack not installed ? ECC Prod box will be connected with EP (for ext/int custoners), PI,BI etc prod boxes. For EP communication with R/3 Prod whether JAVA stack is a must in R/3 server ?

> Is there any BI 7.0 functionalities which need Java stack on R/3 prod end ?

Again, except for PI and MI instance, there's no need to have dual stacks running in the same instance, SAP clearly recommends not to do so as of 701 release. A lot of functionality, such as BI-Java, ESS/MSS, E-sourcing..... They require ABAP core function published and represented by AS Java, but working with each other doesn't mean dual stack instance. Separate installation plus connectivity configuration, typically Jco connection per say, is the answer to your confusion.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Requirement should come form customer in most scenarios we use java engine for ADS only , but as you mentioned you have EP/BI so i hope you dont need exactly Java ,you can utilize that.

In case its required you can install at any stage of project.

So I recommend not to go for java add in if its not required at all.

Regards,

Gagan Deep Kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are continuing with ABAP statck only. Yet to find the possible issues that may come if Java statck not installed..

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

patelyogesh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As per my knowledge Java is add-on on ABAP and you can install it after...

0 Kudos

hello mike,

just download the installation guide, procedure for java addin installation is very well documented in it. its not very hard. go through the guide once and post of you have any confusion or problem.

Best Regards

Niraj