cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing PI 7.11 SP04 as High Availability on HP-UX using Service Guard.

0 Kudos

Hello,

I am trying to install a PI 7.1 EhP1 SP04 system on HP-UX as a High Availability system using "Service Guard".

I've read lots of SAP Documents on the PI 7.1 EhP1 Installation for HP-UX / Oracle, and the section on HA installation, but I am still not clear on how this should be installed.

I have Node A and Node B, and the primary host for the PPI system is NodeA.

In "sapinst" I selected the option for "High Availability" to install our system and installed the folllowing instances on NodeA:

NodeA:

ASCS00 (Abap Central Instance)

SCS01 (Java Central Instance)

ERS10 (Replication Enqueue for ABAP)

ERS11 (Replication Enqueue for Java)

DB Instance

DVEBMGS02 (Primary Application)

On Node B:

ERS12 (Replication Enqueue for ABAP)

ERS13 (Replication Enqueue for Java)

Our PPI instance starts and stops fine on its native host, NodeA, but when we fail over to Node B, the Oracle Listener and DB starts up but none of the SAP Components start up.

We have two SAP Licenses installed, one for each Node.

When we fail over to Node B, and try to startup SAP using the following command:

/usr/sap/PPI/SCS01/exe/sapcontrol -prot NI_HTTP -nr 01 -function Start

we get the following Error message:

08.04.2010 19:10:18

Start

FAIL: HTTP error, HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized

startup of Instance failed

Has anybody installled a NW 7.1 system on HP-UX & Service Guard??

If so, is there a document that describes the process in detail???

Was a SAP HA Plug in required for this to work??

What components, if any, needs to be installed on Node B; i.e. Replicaton Enqueue Server(ERS), Primary Application Server??, etc, etc,

If a "Replication Enqueue Server"(ERS) needs to be installed on Node B, then should it be installed on Local directories?? or should it be part of the Virtual Directory??

Once the ERS is installed on Node B should that be always running?? Or only running when the SAP Application fails over??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

0 Kudos

Hello Mehul,

Thanks for your information.

We were able to resolve the issue.

We were missing the Profile Parameter:

icm/host_name_full = <relocatible_ip>

This parameter needs to be added not just to the

<SID>_DVEBMGS##_<virtual_hostname>

but also in the

<SID>_DVEBMGS##_<hostname_nodeB>

as well.

Thank you.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also don't forget to consult your HW Vendor first before you consider anything........ Because SAP Installation Guide will confuse you for Primary Application Server and all n number of Application Server Configuration...........

Edited by: Mehul Aghera on Apr 15, 2010 3:32 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try to make DB Host name different then your CI .......

For Example:

ASCS00 (Abap Central Instance) -

> hapixyz

SCS01 (Java Central Instance) -

> hapixyz

ERS10 (Replication Enqueue for ABAP) -

> local host

ERS11 (Replication Enqueue for Java) -

> local host

DB Instance -

> hapidbxyz

DVEBMGS02 (Primary Application) -

> local host or hapixyz (Depends on your Architect)

It will resolve your problem...........

Let us know if u need any more help we are in process to configure our HA for PI 7.11 too..........

0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your question.

When I execute "R3trans -d" after failing over the DB to Node B, the response is:

koptux56:ppiadm 35>R3trans -d

This is R3trans version 6.19 (release 711 - 22.01.09 - 11:27:00)

unicode enabled version

R3trans finished (0000)

koptux56:ppiadm 36>

The Virtual Hostname failsover along with the DB and the Listener. The problem is SAP instance doesn't come up automatically.

If I start it Manually it starts up.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

/usr/sap/PPI/SCS01/exe/sapcontrol -prot NI_HTTP -nr 01 -function Start

we get the following Error message:

08.04.2010 19:10:18

Start

FAIL: HTTP error, HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized

startup of Instance failed

Check [SAP Note 1063897 - sapstartsrv user authentication on HP-UX trusted system|https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap%28bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==%29/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=1063897]

[SAP Note 927637 - Web service authentication in sapstartsrv as of Release 7.00|https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap%28bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==%29/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=927637]

For High Availability there are couple of good presentations out on SDN. Here is a link to a Webinar presentation that was held last month. [Business Continuity u2013 Best Practices to avoid u201CUnplanned Downtimeu201D|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/library/uuid/b01305ef-ab14-2d10-71b4-fc310b601ee2]

The slides also discusses ERS as well which might answer some of your questions.

People will have different opinions on how to go about designing two node HA but my opinion for designing HA with two nodes will be : Enq/Message and Primary application server on Node A and ERS and DB on node B. In this way I am using resources of both boxes rather then one box sitting idle.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hiko,

What is the response of R3trans -d when you have started the database on the secondary node?

Is the hostname (or package name) also switched to the secondary node after the failover?

Kind regards,

Mark Dijsselbloem