cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How the system know the actual period in the Production startup of ML?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts:

I have a question:

We want to make a prototipe of Material Ledger/Actual Costing.

At first we want to make a copy of all the information of one Client for example until 31.11.2009 to another Client.

I have readed that when you make the Production Startup process of ML, the system transfers inventory quantities, inventory values and prices from material master records to the material ledger data for the current period, the previous period, and the last period of the previous year.

The question is How the system can determinate the actual period??.. Is this based on the MM logistic periods??.

At last if we do the copy of all the existing movements to our client until 31.11.2009 but the MM logistic period was 03/2010, What is the Actual Period for Material Ledger at the moment that I realize the Production startup?.

Thanks and regards!!

Manuel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

udo_werner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel,

your guessing is correct. It usese the MM period. Namely it reads table MARV where the field LFMON and LFGJA retrieve the curent period by company code. So ML would direct the current stoc values into period 3/2010 in your examples.

Goods movements are not taken into account during ML startup.

best regards, Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

At first..thanks UDO!..

But at this point I have one question about this issue...

The first question is the next:

If I we do the copy of one system to another system until 31.11.2009 for example,what is the last values for the fields "Current period (posting period)"existing in the table MARV and field LFGJA called "Fiscal Year of Current Period" which will be copied to the new system?.. I think must be 11.2009

The second question is related to the first one:

if I do the copy of all the information of one system but only until 31.11.2009 and at the moment of the copy the last entry which exists in the table MARV for the field LFMON "Current period (posting period)" is 04 and the value for the field LFGJA called "Fiscal Year of Current Period" is 2010.

When I finish the production startup of material ledger in the new system..the current period for material ledger will be the 11.2009??

Best Regards:

Manuel

udo_werner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel,

a system copy will copy the state of table MARV as it is in the copied system. So it would have 4.2010.

Whether you copy material movements only until a certain point in time plays no role for the productive startup. The startup program will just convert the existing stocks and take care of purchase order histories and some additional things. Explanations to the startup are given in this note and the notes marked as related notes therein: [https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/596558]

best regards, Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks UDO:

IF I understood well, if I have a copy of the system until date 31.11.2009..do you think that if in the table MARV exists an an entry like 04.2010, when I finish my copy to the new system and I will do the startup program, the actual period for my nwe system will be 04.2010??..

If this is the result, Material Ledger couldn´t find any movement for periods 04.2010 and 03.2010 because the copy only was until 31.11.2009..isn´t true???...

Best regards:

Manuel

udo_werner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

> If this is the result, Material Ledger couldn´t find any movement for periods 04.2010 and 03.2010 because the copy only was until 31.11.2009..isn´t true???...

this assumption is right. But a system copy with already posted goods movements is in any case no good test case for actual costing. Actual costing will in any case only treat the goods movements that occurred after the productive startup in the system where ML is active. The productive startup does not transform the information collected before.

To test the behavior of ML you have to do the startup and post goods movements manually or have a mechanism to copy posted goods movements automatically.

best regards,

Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI UDO:

You said in your last answer that "The productive startup of ML does not transform the information collected before"?

But I have explained that SAP say the next about the Productive startup process:

During the Production Startup process of ML, the system transfers inventory quantities, inventory values and prices from material master records to the material ledger data for the current period, the previous period, and the last period of the previous year.

This movements was created before the activation of ML..

If you said that Actual costing will in any case only treat the goods movements that occurred after the productive startup in the system where ML is active, How we can close the actual and last periods of the year which have been created when you active ML?..

Best Regards!

Manuel

udo_werner
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel,

the text from SAP you cite is of course correct: startup cares about stock qunatities and values in the three periods.

But it does that not by analyzing material movements, but taking over the values from the corresponding MM tables into the ML data and adding potentilally new currency values by conversion.

When you close ML for a period directly after the startup you will gain no new information and no actual costs. This works only for periods where the movements took place when ML was alerady active.

Best regards,

Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Udo:

At first, thanks a lot for your fast answer:

In the SAP HELP library in "preparing data for Material Ledger (production startup), you can find the next:

When you have finished the production startup, the system does the following:

Transaction Data

1. Transfers inventory quantities, inventory values and prices from material master records to the material ledger data for the current period, the previous period, and the last period of the previous year

2.- Calculates the inventory values and prices in the currencies of the material ledger at the current date using the stated exchange rate type

3.- Amends the purchase order histories with the set currencies, using the settings for additional currencies found in Customizing for Financial Accounting

Like you said in your last replay, this process ONLY transfer (Quantities and values related to the inventory??

What happend with the goods movements which have already exists in SAP before you set Valuation areas as Productive in ML??..

Thanks!

manuel