cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOAP service vs HTTP Service

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

What is the main advantage of using a SOAP service over an HTTP service?

regrds,

Piyush

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are so many topics about differences between these two adapters and I myself have gone through many topics about the same. But there is not even a single thread that tells the exact reasons why we use each adapter.

Sad but true

Former Member
0 Kudos

One of the reasons you dont find that information is becuase it really depends on what you are doing. In every integration the need of adapters may change. It depends on you requirements.

So, it is very difficult to generalize adapters. For example there are a lot of ways to communicate with a SAP system. XI adapter, IDoc adapter, SOAP adapter, RFC adapter etc. But which one will satisy you is up to your scenario you are donig

Hope it was clear and helps a bit

Best Regards,

Arman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The links mentioned above do not talk about the functinoal usage of SOAP over HTTP.

Lets say that I have a vendor who is exposing an HTTP service. I can ask him to enhance to SOAP service.

Now how can i convince him to move from SOAP to HTTP and does this actually benfits me also????

regards,

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Some good reasons to use WSDL and convince your vendor:

1. WSDL aids interoperability. You can post your WSDL to a directory (Service Registry, UDDI) and any Web Services developer in any technology (Java, .NET, etc.) will have everything they need to build a client to invoke your service

2. WSDL is more expressive than HTTP alone. With WSDL I can specify message payloads, invocation styles (RPC or document) and encoding, as well as endpoint addresses.

3. WSDL is a required artifact for many testing tools, Web Services frameworks, and service management products. Without WSDL, you can't take advantage of these technologies

4. WSDL is a standard. You are better off conforming to standards and conventions when building software that potentially needs to communicate with the outside world.

5. WSDL assists in portability. When you move it, you will have a definition of your service from which to start.

There are probably other reasons but these are what comes immediately to mind.

Does all this benefits you? YES, it does.

And it's called SOA, Service Oriented Architecture

Hope it was helpful...

Regards,

Arman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arman,

Thanks for the response and thanks again for not provinding forum links but a logical answer

The basic advntg pf SOAP over HTTP that I am able out is that its definition is self conatained in the WSDL as compared to the HTTP where the parameters need to be conveyed to the client seperately .

Anything else that you feel tops the advntg liist?

regards,

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Read this,

"one advantage of HTTP over SOAP is that HTTP is better performance vise coz it runs directly on IE."

And This one:

Last one:

These will answer your question.

Best Regards,

Arman

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are some solved threads on this topic (and others as well, IDOC/ PROXY/ RFC)....just make a search on SDN for the same.

Regards,

Abhishek.