Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table Logging

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have around 28,000 tables, which are active for table logging by default. We want to disable the logging for those tables.

Also the rec/client parameter is not active. We need the table logging for only particular tables, hence want to disable the logging from the all other tables.

Kindly advice us, and also tell us the risks involved in it.

Thanks and Regards,

Arun

8 REPLIES 8

Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

you won't get table change logs without rec/client active. Which tables are logged is defined by the technical settings of each table (SE11). As far as I know it is not able to mass change these settings. It would be beccessary to alter each tables settings - what is quite impossible.

Anyway, it wouldn't be a good idea to disable the standard logging settings. Sometimes you will need the logs in case of errors. There might also be security or privacy policy issues for which you might use the table logs...

Regards,

Dirk

Bernhard_SAP
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Arun,

have a look at table DD09L, field DD09L-PROTOKOLL.....

Any changes you perfrom to the table content is on your own risk of course.....

b.rgds, Bernhard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Only removing the flag from DD09L is not enough, as the system also respects and uses the older mechanism which preceded it --> TPROT field PROTFLAG in my system has 1.629 entries in it...

Perhaps there are other tables as well which might cause behaviour inconsistent with your expectations?

Please remember: as long as you are not changing customizing there is no logging to worry about and if you do change something you might regret it later if you do not know who changed what, and when.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun

As far as I know, the rec/client parameter must be active for table logging in SAP to be activated. This is a system-wide setting and becomes active after the profile parameters (RZ10) are changed and the SAP application restarted.

Please refer to SAPNET NOTE 139418 for more general information on logging user actions.

For custom-developed tables, you will need to turn on table logging at the table level:

Transaction SE11.

Enter Table Name in the Data Dictionary.

Click on Change.

Press the Technical Settings button.

Check the "Log data changes" checkbox at the bottom of the screen.

Table DD09L shows which tables are marked for table logging.

At a minimum, you should be logging changes to tables T000, T001 and DEVACCESS.

Use transaction SCU3 to check which tables were changed and by whom. This should be reviewed periodically by management for potential unauthorized changes. All changes should be linked to an approval/change ticket/change request/other relevant approval document.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Ravin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, Arun

The method mentioned in the last post is perfect but you have many many tables to configure.

Pls use TCD:SCAT when you try to change the flag of tables.

I guess there is no other way to do mass change of table attributes...

Best regards, YS

0 Kudos

> I guess there is no other way to do mass change of table attributes...

I don't think there is inetention to do mass changed either.

If you change the delivery class of a table to which you are itself doing regular mass changes or SAP was too "strict" for you then you can find them and change it in SE13.

If you deactivate everything then you will miss them oneday when a few KB of changes happen and you cannot reconstruct it.

Most questions like this mistake application logging for table logging, anyway.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

By Default "Logging" is enabled for all Customizing Tables in SAP. Since the data change in these Customizing Tables is not very high daily, enabling the Table logging will not cause a high load on the system. Also we have enabled Table logging manually in SE11 for the additional tables for which we needed Table Logging.

0 Kudos

To clarify the point as Ravin pointed out, whilst table logging is enabled for config tables, it requires activating by setting the relevant parameter.