cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe Builder with MS SQL Server 2005 Server Management Studio - Bridges

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I am new to BO and i'm trying to create a universe from a sql database i created with MS SQL Server Management Studio.

I noticed that there isn't any bridge option for sql database.

Am i suppose to do some kind of conversion or is there an option that i left out?

Oh and i'm currently using BusinessObjects XI 3.1 Edge Series Universe Builder.

Thanks

Jazreeel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Are you using Analysis services ?? Universe Builder is for creating universes against OLAP datasources. If you are trying to create a Universe against a relational DB the you will need to use designer. Hope that helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to correct Justin assertion.

Universe builder is for automatically build universes on different schemas and only relational schemas.

OLAP universes (SAP, MSAS, ESSBASE) are built with Universe Designer.

Here is a list of universes generated by Universe Builder:

<li>BusinessObjetcs Data Integrator

<li>CWM OLAP

<li>CWM relational

<li>IBM DB2 Cube Views

<li>IBM DB2 Datawarehouse Center

<li>Oracle OLAP 9i/10g (relational universe on OLAP source)

<li>Oracle Warehouse Builder 9i/10g

Regards

Didier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks guys for the help. I think i have a rough idea on what i'm supposed to do now

Thanks !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jazreeel/ALL,

Could you please share what you did to build your Universe from MS Sql? I am at that same roadblock now myself. I know I can use Designer to manually connect to the SQL DB and painstakingly set it up table by table, but is there not an easier way, where Universe Builder or Designer can read the full database schema and and build the Universe from there?

SAP support has told me that the Designers auto features <Detect Joins, Links, etc> should not be used in a production enviroment, that I need to add all the tables <747 of them> manually and then have a Developer one by one create all the Joins, Links, Cardinalities, resolve the loops etc. That is very teadious to do, and makes maintaining the Universe a nightmare when different software versions change our database tables from time to time.

There's got to be an easier way, I just can't find it. Like you, I instantly felt that Builder should have a SQL bridge to be able to read what it needs from the SQL DB and build the Universe. However, that option does not seem to exist.

Appreciate any help!!

Carl