Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message maximum size

RafaelVieira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'd like to know the maximum size which one single message can have (in MB or GB) in different versions of PI.

In addition to this question, please tell me if is posible to get a file (zip file) from a FTP server and send it to another FTP server, once this file is extremelly heavy (as 600MB, or even 1GB) and how can I deal with? Can I send it in only one message?

If not, in practical terms, how can I do it?

Thank you so much!

Rafael Vieira.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rafael,

>please tell me if is posible to get a file (zip file) from a FTP server and send it to another FTP server, once this file is extremelly >heavy (as 600MB, or even 1GB) and how can I deal with? Can I send it in only one message?

It is possible, ( SAP PI 7.11)

Cheers

Agasthuri

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> It is possible, ( SAP PI 7.11)

>

> Cheers

> Agasthuri

ICM default max http message size is 100mb, you won't be able to exchange messages over this size and your IE will run into max limit exceeded error.

Also, assuming it was possible with additional tuning and a great big hardware, it is still not logical to exchange a 1GB file as one message as it would block your whole system while processing. PI performs best at 5mb a message. Check out high-volume scenarios and performance articles (some found in how-to documents) to get an idea about it.

Regards,

Gokhan

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gokhan,

Thanks for your message,

• I heard from a customer in TechED that they where able to pass 1 GB file thru Adapter Specific..where the message is not converted into XML ..File to File transfer.

• I have personally passed 200+ MB file ..yep adjusting Java heap,Adapter time out settings etc

Cheers

Agasthuri

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is possible, didn't say it was't, but I did say it is not logical. I had to wait about a minute on a very good hardware until a 150mb+ message without any mappings got executed, and this will choke the PI system eventually as other small messages are trying to pass through as well. You wouldn't want to be carrying cargo with a mercedes, would you?

Divide and conquer is the best way, and since you can pass binary data directly through PI without XML conversion (check William Li's blog), and now we also have direct connection option with 7.1, you could establish a good rate of message flow. It is important to remember that a message with a size of 200mb will usually take longer to process than 10 messages with 10mb in size. Tuning guide would be another great source for the understanding your options.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Gokhan

RafaelVieira
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the answers, it helped me a lot.

One more question is (just to formalize it) if there's any SAP note or topic in the SAP Help or any kind of oficial SAP answer/indication which details or references this point?

Thanks again,

Rafael Vieira.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vieira,

Practically there is no message size. It all depends upon various factor of how your system can handle. Some of them are: the hardware, network etc.

Some things you can do is if you only want to move the file from one location to another location then you can zip it and move with out message mapping etc. If you are reading that file, then if possible read the file in some chunks like 200 records at a time. Here this also depends. You may need to do some testing.

Some more info can be find in this already discussed threads:

Regards,

---Satish