cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Roles to Access a Portal Over the Internet and on the Intranet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all -

We have a requirement that when a employee logs into the Portal from the Internet they are assigned a different role than when they login from their corporate network.

Example:

- From the Internet John Smith can only access his ESS role

- From the corporate network, John Smith can access his ESS role and his SRM role

In the above example, we do not want John Smith to access the SRM role from the Internet, for security reasons.

Is there a way to implement such a solution without using multiple portals (one internal and one external)?

Thanks,

Bert

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sathya_sathya2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Bertrand ,

If you can use different urls for internet and intranet you can acheive this by writing desktop rules in your portal.

regards,

sathya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sathya,

Desktop rules will enable me to use different frameworks, but not user role, as mentioned by Raghu.

What exactly do you have in mind?

Bert

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can use a desktop to filter portal content. Assign to every desktop a filter ID, like

Intranet -> filterid 10

Internet -> filterid 20

Add the corresponding filterid to the portal role/content that you want to display in the desktop. Only the content with the correct filterid will be displayed.

br,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sathya and Tobias for the helpful answers.

Typically, where would I make sure that a URL cannot be accessed from the Internet (to make sure that users on the internet can not access all the content)? Is that done through the Web Server usually or can I do that within the SAP Portal?

Thanks again,

Bert

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bertrand,

the best way to ensure that a specific URL isn't available from the Internet or Intranet is to use a Reverse Proxy with URL filtering that will analyze if a request is coming from the Intranet (ex: 192.168.0.0/24) and allows the access of an URL (http://server/intranet) or not (http://server/internet)

br,

Tobias

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member206159
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't think it is possible in standard portal behaviour.

Because we can make use external facing portal for internet or default framework for intranet. It means different frameworks can be assigned for intranet and internet. But not different roles.

Because roles are assigned in user admin and it is not related to intranet or internet.

Raghu