cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDS not connecting to Oracle XE: "Failed to load OCI.DLL" error

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit machine, I've a local Oracle XE running and both SAP MDM 5.5SP06 (32bit) and MDM 7.1SP04 (64bit) running.

The first one connects and works perfectly with the local Database, while the latter throws the following OCI.DLL exception when trying to connect to the DB (by setting the DBMS settings via MDM Console):

"Failed to load OCI.DLL, received error: 193

"Oracle Initialization Failed -- likely missing libraries/dlls",MDSAdminServer@GetDbmsSettings,Oracle_DBConnection.cpp,411,,,,server_user,server_global,,,

"OCI Init returned 0x84020028",MDSAdminServer@GetDbmsSettings,Oracle_DBConnection.cpp,523,,,,server_user,server_global,,,

"OCIErrorGet: pfnOCIErrorGet==NULL",MDSAdminServer@GetDbmsSettings,OracleWrapper.cpp,638,,,,server_user,server_global,,,

"ERROR CODE=-1 ||| Failed to intitialize Oracle shared library.

Last CMD:

",MDSAdminServer@GetDbmsSettings,Oracle_DBConnection.cpp,201,,,,server_user,server_global,,,

I've already made sure the Oracle XE BIN folder (where the OCI.DLL library is located) is in the PATH of the machine.

I've also compared the entries in both the mds.ini files:

Oracle\Dll=OCI.DLL

Why is MDM 5.5 server (MDS) running and working and MDM 7.1 server (MDS) not?

Any advise or hint?

thanks and regards,

Stefano

Edited by: atzeboya on Apr 8, 2010 2:26 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefano,

Why is MDM 5.5 server (MDS) running and working and MDM 7.1 server (MDS) not?

Its true that you can Run/Install two MDM GUI on same Desktop. But you can't run two MDM Servers, MDM Import Server's and MDM Syndication Server's simultaneously. It seems like you are trying to run two MDM Servers from same machine simultaneously if it is true then this is not possible.

You can run either MDM 5.5 or MDM 7.1 server at a time.

Refer SAP Note 1321606 - Running multiple instances of MDM at the same time

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1321606

Note: In a scenario where in MDM(MDS) is running on two separate different machines with both of them pointing to a single database server is possible.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good point Mandeep,

so I've stopped MDS 5.5 and started only MDS 7.1 but guess what?

I cannot connect (same error) to the DB from the MDM 7.1 console.

I'm actually NOT running any other service (Import server MDIS or Syndication Server MDSS). but only the main MDM Server (MDS).

regards,

Stefano

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefano,

Since now you have stopped MDM 5.5 and run MDS for MDM 7.1, You should connect to Database as well.

I would suggest after stopping MDM (MDS) 5.5, as you run now MDM (MDS) 7.1, This time at-least your MDM 7.1 Server is running right which you can mount through MDM 7.1 Console. Now Right Click on Server, go for DBMS Settings. Have you given there DBMS Server, DBMS Type, Username and Password Correctly ? As you are using Oracle DB make sure that you fill correct Data Path and Index Path. This should resolve your problem.

Please Refer page no 234/403 Table62. DBMS Settings for more details

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/4b/71608566ae3260e10000000a42189b/MDMConsole71.pdf

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Madeep,

but I was already able to mount the server even before.

It's the connection via DBMS settings step which keeps on failing and returning the OCI error reported above.

regards,

Stefano

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this thread. Hope this will solve your problem.

Also, check this link if this helps:

http://www.attunity.com/forums/microsoft-ssis-oracle-connector/error-failed-load-oci-dll-1308.html

Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Shiv,

I've already checked it.

I honestly don't know where I can find a 32 rather than 64bit version of the OCI.DLL they're talking about, since it comes with the standard Oracle XE installation (I assume it's a 32bit version).

to give more details on my situation:

I was already able to mount the server even before.

It's the connection via DBMS settings step which keeps on failing and returning the OCI error reported above.

Infact, when I try to fill it in with:

DBMS server = localhost (Oracle)

username= system

password = system

(basically the standard default settings, which already worked for MDS 5.5)

I obtain the error:

"Unable to connect with database server"

and into the server logfile I find the above mentioned OCI error entry.

thanks and regards,

Stefano

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you install 64 Bit version of Oracle for MDM 7.1, or you are trying to use 32 Bit version of Oracle which was working with MDM 5.5. Because if You check [PAM |www.service.sap.com/pam]at SMP for MDM 7.1 then for windows server, it says ORACLE as 64 Bit version.

I think this could be the issue...

Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using EXACTLY the same DB I normally use for the other SAP MDM 5.5 installation I've on the same machine.

FYI, from the Oracle website only the Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1) Express Edition for Microsoft Windows is available, which I believe is 32bit.

regards,

Stefano

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefano,

NOTE ►► If any of the settings are unset or blank, the DBMSu2019s default location is used.

When you access the first instance via MDM, you can accept the default paths. When you then access the second instance, be sure to enter a Data File Path and Index File Path that are different from the corresponding paths you specified for the first instance. If you don't do this the initialization dialog comes up any time MDM connects to a multi-instance DBMS for the first time.

I feel that since you are using same Oracle DB this default path is set for MDM 5.5 thats why u are able to connect to DB with MDM 5.5. During DBMS Settings through MDM 7.1 Console are you able to open Pop up window which asks generally for Data Path and Index Path after giving correct username and password. For MDM 7.1. If somehow you are able to open this window give correct Data Path and Index Path. e.g. For MDM 7.1 it should be like this

C:\Program Files\SAP MDM 7.1\Server\.... not as C:\Program Files\SAP MDM 5.5 \Server\..... which by default set for MDM 5.5

This will resolve your problem.

Please refer for more details MDM Console guide DBMS INITIALIZATION of 237/403 MULTIPLE DBMS INSTANCES 238/403

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

After looking at the Product availability Matrix for MDM 7.1, I feel for MDM 7.1 installation on Windows server Oracle should be of 64 bit edition.

I have never tried downloading a free version of Oracle 64 Bit, but check this link from oracle website if it works

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/htdocs/10201winx64soft.html

Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Shiv,

I'm afraid that Oracle XE 32bit is not the best choice too.

I'll give it a go with the full Oracle 11gR2 64bit I found as downloadable on Oracle website.

I'll keep you posted.

cheers,

Stefano

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check whether this parameter is set in mds.ini file:

Oracle\Dll=OCI.DLL, If not then set it and then try.

BR,

Alok Sharma

Answers (0)