cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Package

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

While creating a package in SE21 It is asking me to give the Transport Layer.Why Transport layer is required?How to create this Transport Layer?There is also one more tab "Software Component".What is Software Component?

Edited by: Sachin Pal on Apr 8, 2010 1:29 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Sachin,

A transport layer is used for grouping all the development objects that will always use the same transport routes within the same development system. Transport layers are assigned to all the objects that come from a specified development system.

This is a central concept for the Transport Management System, and is a requirement to create a transport layer before any development project can start.

If no consolidation route is assigned to a transport layer, or if the transport layer does not exist for the system where objects are modified or repaired,then these modifications are considered local and therefore cannot be transported to other systems.

Every development class is assigned a transport layer which defines the route for transports coming from the same development system.

for Package builder details check following link:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/af/40bd38652c8c42e10000009b38f8cf/frameset.htm

Best Regards

Niraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Niraj thanks for giving me definitions of Transport Layer.But why it is used for creating a package?What is Software Component & why it is used while creating a package?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sachin,

The answer for your question is there in the reason of yours creating a package. i.e., why are you creating a package, so that any new development can be put in that package so that it can be transported to the next systems. Without package you cannot create any new development.

Every package must have the transport layer so that all the objects developed in that package can be transported to next system say quality and production. Hence check whats the transport layer from STMS and give the same transport layer here. Regarding the software components you can ignore the same.

Hope answered your question.

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sharath Package concept has been clear.tHanks a lot.Regarding the software components I'll ignore it but what are software components?I have seen them in SPAM also?What are there uses?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sachin,

Software components are nothing but the components of the system like SAP_BASIS, SAP_APPL, SAP_BW etc...same which you can see in SPAM also.

In your case for package creation if you give F4 you can find all components as said above...you can choose HOME there which is custom development.

Thanks & Regards,

Sharath

0 Kudos

Hello Sachin,

Just if you read the description i provided carefully - then you need transport layer so that these objects can be transferred to a different system and should not be created locally.

and if you checked the help link i sent you then it says :

-

Software component

The software component describes a set of development objects that can only be delivered in a single unit. Later, you will assign all the main packages of the structure package to this software component.

-

Software components are the component packages belonging to the different applications.

Best Regards

Niraj

Answers (0)