cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archival/Deletion of messages in XI 3.0 SP23

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We need to carry out a data deletion/purging activity at our XI box, where no archival/deletion policy has been incorporated ever. As a preparatory measure, I need to have some guidelines for the activities as under,

1. While defining an Archival policy, is there any recomendation from SAP or others that message archival exercise has to be carried out first, before proceeding with message deletion? To be more precise, can we directly delete/purge the messages without archiving them? What will be the impact of such an exercise on the XI system?

This point may sound confusing but the reality is that we do not have enough H/W to carry out an activity of Archival and Deletion.

2. What is the SAP recomendation/best practice in this regard?

3. Although we are defining the Archival/Deletion policy now, we need to purge data that is 3 years old and we do not require them any more. What would be the best practice to carryout this activity?

Thanks and regards,

Sugata Basu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you know the process how to schedule Archiving & Deletion XI 3.0,we use SXMB_ADM trasactions,it quite simple. i hope you aware of that.

coming to point SAP given step by step guided hot to perform Archiving & Deletion XI 3.0, but i am not sure about best practices.

Best practices fully depend on your client,like for how long you want to keep messages and what about DB size, and number of interfaces.

Suppose if you have very few interfaces , we can keep messages for long time.else we have to perform periodic runs to delete the messages.

failed messages needs to be deleted ,

but as per my knowledge it purely depend on client.

Regards,

Raja Sekhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sugatada,

is there any recomendation from SAP or others that message archival exercise has to be carried out first, before proceeding with message deletion?

No as per my knowledge..

can we directly delete/purge the messages without archiving them? What will be the impact of such an exercise on the XI system?

This wholly depends on requirement...if the data is too old...you can directly delete it..no need to archieve..

What is the SAP recomendation/best practice in this regard?

you can set these values which close to best practice...

Retention period for both synch and asynch

msgs without error awaiting deletion : 180 days

msgs without error awaiting archieving : 45 days

retention period for history entris for deleted msgs : 30 days

in XI we have 2 types of action:

(1) deletion of XML messages (without prior archiving)

(2) archiving of XML messages with subsequent deletion

SAP_BC_XMB_DELETE* for type (1)

SAP_BC_XMB_ARCHIVE* for type (2)

Regds,

Pinangshuk.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am glad to get such quick responses from you guys,

@Pinangshuk,

Your solution is very close to my expectation. Now going further, I am making it more precise that we are not at all bothered about keeping 3 years old data anymore in the system, neither do in archiving the data and waste our valuable resource. Our aim is to delete the 3 year old data directly from the system. Here I would like to get from you the under mentioned,

1. How shall I delete 3 years old data by running a single job? If not, then can you provide me the tricks-and-tips for doing that?

2. What will be the impact on the XI system since the archival/deletion policy was never set at any point?

@Raja Sekhar,

I am thankful for your response. Can you please provide a roadmap in the context of my above mentioned request?

Regards,

Sugata

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

refer below link it gives all info regarding Archiving procedure.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/402fae48-0601-0010-3088-85c...

/people/daniel.graversen/blog/2009/01/14/deletion-and-archiving-in-pi

SXMSPMAST table stores the all messages internally we can run report to delele the message,just refer aboe link you will understand the concept and best practices.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. How shall I delete 3 years old data by running a single job? If not, then can you provide me the tricks-and-tips for doing that?

Dont go for deletion at a single shot....do it at chunks....say 1 month at a time by setting the time period...consult with your BASIS team....or one thing you can do....delete msgs from SXMSPMAST and SXMSPHIST table..but be very carefull....for adapter engine check the table XI_AF_MSG.

Regds,

Pinangshuk.