cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPC 7.0 Upgrade: Levels under Time Dimension all messed up?!?!?!?!?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all:

Situation

In our BPC 7.0 Dev Box, we noticed that under Analysis Service\Dimensions\Time current level is not displayed properly.

Data

1. This wrong level setting is inherited from BPC 5.1

2. We added a "week" level, and assigned to HalfYear through BPC Admin Time Dimension xls sheet

3. We have week, month, quarter, year level, but the assignment is wrong:

-> Year - year level

-> HalfYear -quarter level

-> Quarter - month level

-> Month - week level

4. Our QTD behaves like Half-Year to Date, and we suspect that it is because of the wrong level setting

Question

Is there anyway to repair the level under Analysis Services Time Dimension?

Even we assigned "week" to HalfYear in the Time Dimension xls sheet, under Analysis Services HalfYear has current level as quarter. Why is this happening?

Bottom line is that, during the initial implementation Time dimension seems to have some flaws, and we hope to correct all the misconfiguration in the upgrade to 7.0

Thank you very much!

Brian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

sorin_radulescu
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Bryan

After Migration did you setup IsBeginning property for Time Dimension in 7.0.

This is very important property and measures can not be calculated without this.

Also you have to set the correct calculation for Measures. when we are speaking about Week like base member you have probably to change the formula for measures.

I think you did the same think also in 5.1 otherwise is not working.

So the problem it is how you complete the migration.

Time Dimension and formula or custom measures has to be migrated properly.

All these are mentionen into Upgrade Guide from 5.x to 7.x.

Regards

Sorin Radulescu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorin:

I did set up the property as well as assigning value of 1 to the beginning of each range (i.e. 2009.TOTAL, 2009.Q1, 2009.H1, 2009.JAN). However, because all my applications are periodic and not YTD, I don't think ISBEGINNING is being used anywhere. Is my assumption correct?

As far as the Measures MDX, you are correct that we set up custom MDX for HalfYTD in 5.1. However, our QTD in 5.1 seems to never work. In 7.0, I can change my Measures MDX to make each Measure work, but my concern is that will the wrong assignment of level cause any problem in the future? And regardless, is it possible to correct the "level" assignment?

Thank you!

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all:

The problem is resolved when I changed the "week" level assigned to my half year members (2008.H1) to align with BPC 7.0 default setting's "HalfYear level" as appeared in tbl.MeasureFormula. I also used the HalfYTD MDX formula (except there was a negation sign that needs to be erased for all the EXP type). At last, I processed my Time dimension again after all the changes.

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

when u do this thing

2. We added a "week" level, and assigned to HalfYear through BPC Admin Time Dimension xls sheet

are u inserted on row between existing data or u add it in the last row??

thanks...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Crash:

The members were created already. Level is a property and we just put "week" to those members representing half year, such as 2009.H2, 2008.H1, etc.

For 2010.TOTAL the level is Year, and for 2010.Q4 the level is Quarter, and for 2010.09 the level is Month...

Thank you!

Brian

sorin_radulescu
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

You processed this time dimension in 7.0 and you did also modify application and even after that the level is not right.

Can you provide an example about the structure in your dimension and what level are you seeing into SSAS cube?

Explain please also what is not display correct.

Thank you.

Regards

Sorin Radulescu

Edited by: Sorin Radulescu on Apr 8, 2010 9:32 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorin:

From my understanding, when we implemented BPC 5.1, there seemed to be no half year level. Therefore, our consult created "week" level and assigned to all half year members (i.e. 2009.H1, 2008.H2, etc). In other words, under Time Dimension xls sheet, under Level property, 2009.H1 will be assigned to Week. The other members such as 2009.TOTAL is assigned to Year, and 2008.Q3 is assigned to Quarter.

After migrating the setting to BPC 7.0, we noticed two things 1) default QTD measure aggregates like HTD 2) Under Analysis Services, the members (except Year) are at the wrong current level. For instance, 2009.H1 is at Quarter Level, and 2009.Q2 is at Month level, and 2009.05 is at Week level.

It seems that BPC 7.0 has Half Year and Week levels as default. I am not sure how I can correct the "workaround" we implemented in 5.1...

Thank you!

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

If the Time dimension is now setup properly in the appset, but it is just wrong in Analysis Services, you could try doing a backup and restore through Server Manager as this will rebuild the cube from scratch.

Thanks,

Scott