cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop user from entering value for already existing data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

We have a situation , where we need to give user a template for entering the data and then send it to the database. But we want that if user has already entered the value for a combination, then he should not be allowed to select the same combination again in that template.

In other words , there should be write access but not update access.

So I have two questions related to it:

1. How to build report with giving user , the drop-down list of available members under each dimensions. (I know that we can provide list by writing all of them in excel and then using those values in drop-down)

2. How to restrict the user for selecting the combination which has already been selected.

Need your suggestion

Thanks

Sanjay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay,

I dont this will be feasible in the way you want it to be (with drop down boxes and selecting the members form there). I am not sure whether this can be done by VB script or not. But, as per my understanding, if you want that a set of data should not be updated, then you need to lock that set of data using work status. Once the user enters a value for some member, we need to lock that using work status. No subsequent user will be able to send data to that member again.

Hope this helps.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay,

for your first question...

you can build an EVDRE in a hidden area/sheet to display all values of a desired dimension in rows. Set Option SuppressDataCol to 'Y'. Also maintain MemberSet options to display only the values you need.

Now you can reference your DD-box to the key- or description range.

With some VBA-code you can refresh this EVDRE on Workbook_Open and also set the range (attribute ListFillRange?) of you DD-box dynamically to the RowKeyRange.

Hope, it helps.

Regards

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks steeve/nilanjan

I got the solution.

sanjay