cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

master data maintenance for two plants

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

there are two plants having same materials on both plants. sohow can we maintain aster data for both plants,

should we create MICs for both plants,

and inspection plan for both plants

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hi Inspection plan you need to mauntain at plant level. You can not use same plan for both plant.

Creation of MIC is also at plant level.

You can use same MIC in another plant inspection plan.

But better you go seperate MIC for seperate Plant.

Regards

SANIL

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure why you would recommend that Sanil?

If you use or ever want to use batch managed materials with batch classification you have to use general characteristics which can only be linked to one Master inspection characteristic. That is the reson we try to create all the MIC's in one central plant. If you manufacture the same prodcut in two or more plants you defintitly don't want separate MIC's

You CAN use and share inspection plans across multiple plants. Why would you say that you can't? This is a very basic functionality of inspection plans that is covered in almost any basic intro course to QM. That's a totally incorrect statement. There are some considerations such as people who need to maintain the plans need security in that plant. If you use workcenters in the plans, the same work centers need to be created in each plant.

But many, many, many SAP implementations share plans across plants.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why I would prefer to create masters at plant level.Because normally quality department is always under QA control.

Now if you create inspection plan across the all location or plant same then if any of QA person want to change in inspection plan or add MIC he has to co- ordinate with all location /plants for same.

So if it is at plant level then it can be control by respective QA person of each plant..

I have one example I am using same material at 4 different plant but all 4 plants have different plans because scenario are different.

In one plant user want use long term inspection.or one of user want ot use formula for MIC but at the same time in other plant user do not want use formula. , in one plant user want destructive sample but other do not want.

That is why I prfere to create masters at palnt level.

Regards

SANIL

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But you are then making the same product using 4 different methods! That is terrible from a quality perspective. If I'm a customer I don't want to have to worry about what plant made it. It totally goes against having standard specs. Quality should be consistent across plants. You can manufacture it however you want, but the quality control, i.e. the tests and specs used must all be the same across all plants. Its one of the reasons SAP is designed the way it is. (One exception may be if a country requires a specific test for a product that other countries don't.)

As far as changing specs and adding/deleting characteristics, those aren't things that should be changing very much. Testing and specs should be pretty static data once it is created. Coordinating changes shouldn't be that difficult. Even when using separate plans you still need interplant coordination. The last thing you want is to wind up with 4 different specs being used across 4 different plants.

It also means anything like COA's or certificates have to be managed much differently with a much higher level of maintenance. Using any features of batch management are almost totally wiped out. You could maintain separate plans and utilize the same MIC's however and use batch management. But using separate MICS would really hurt the usage of batch classification. Comparing quality between plants becomes much, much harder. Reports can't be consistent.

My biggest objection is not that you would want to do this. I can understand that there may be a unique sitiation out there that requires separate plans and maybe separate MICS as well. But you told the poster that it was required to use separate inspection plans at different plants.

I know not everyone sees and knows everything about everything. I certainly don't and I've made mistakes. But if we are going to post advice and solutions, we need to try and make sure it's correct information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi FF

What about Inspection Methods, Selected Sets, in addition to MIC these are also plant specific. But it appears from your answer that we don't need to create MIC, Sel. Sets, Insp. Methods against each plant.

We will just have to create these setup for the main plant and use material assignment screen in insp. plan to attach inspection plan to all other plants.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The selected sets for the qualitative characteristics should be identical across plants. Ideally these are assigned once in the general characteristic which is linked to the MIC. But a single plant level set can also be assigned in the MIC if need be. You'd also want the same defect codes as well and these are also defined in the MIC. Selected sets are not allowed for these and only the name of the catalog needs to be defined there.

Methods are usually created on a plant level. So even though you have one mic, you can assign a separate method in the MIC for each plant. This is becasue in many places, while the method might be the same for the test across plants, plants often have their own internal method numbers that they reference and want to use. These are some times referred to in ISO documentation so they don't want to give these up. To make these easier, even though you actually create separate method headers to be used in the MIC's, you can have each plant method reference the same document in the DMS. That way all plants use the same written method even though they might have a different method name/number show up in the inspeciton lot.

So yes. When all is said and done, you should be able to have one plan created in a central plant or HQ plant that can be used by all plants that make that material. Or even variations of the material. So a powdered chemical packaged in 50 lb fiber drums, can be inspected the same as the same chemical in 50 lb bags. No need for separate plans if only the container is changing. Of course a different container might require a separate plan also. It all depends on the products being produced.

And by using batch classes and material specs, you can draw specs from the batch class if you want. Thus sometimes allowing hundreds of material/plant combinations to be assigned to a single Group/group counter

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great. I have checked.

1. Just added a line in material assignment screen (i.e Group Counter + material + 2nd plant)

2. Activated inspection type in material master, QM view, of the 2nd plant

and it all worked very well.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No.

Create the MIC and plans in one plant only.

You can assign the materials in the second plant to the original plan.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanx but how can i assign

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In QP02 on the main header screen you'll see a button on the menu bar labelled "Material Assignment". Click on that. On the next screen, enter in the group counter, the material and plant.

You can assign as many material/plants combinations as are applicable.

FF