Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg: moving master data from production to development

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a requirement wherein we have to write a program which has the capability of moving the master data from prodcution server to development server.

For example, All the employee master records would be created in production server.

If any issues come up, then we have to solve the issue in development and then move to production.

For that reason, we need to get the production data in development server.

Is this possible ??

Guys, please help me .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Create one RFC destination for the target system in the source.

call function 'RFC_READ_TABLE'
      destination 'P_dest'             " your RFC server 
      exporting
        query_table          = 'TADIR'   "pass the table name
      tables
        options              = options11   " you can pass the conditions to table
        fields               = nametab11   " fields to be retrieved
        data                 = stmp_dokhl1 "data

Regards,

Naresh.

13 REPLIES 13

former_member188827
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Basis Consultants can do a client copy of production server to DEV if needed.There is no need to write programs to achieve this.

0 Kudos

The issues come up on a daily basis. so we dotn want basis to do a prodcution copy each and every time.

We jsut want to run a program which will do the movement form prodcution to devt.

0 Kudos

Ideally,if production server is up,issues should not come on daily basis.Anyways,you can use read and create bapis to achieve this.An RFC link has to be established between the two servers.

Edited by: abapuser on Apr 7, 2010 12:35 PM

0 Kudos

can you please elaborate on this ?? which bapis do i need to use?

are there any standard bapis to achieve this ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Create one RFC destination for the target system in the source.

call function 'RFC_READ_TABLE'
      destination 'P_dest'             " your RFC server 
      exporting
        query_table          = 'TADIR'   "pass the table name
      tables
        options              = options11   " you can pass the conditions to table
        fields               = nametab11   " fields to be retrieved
        data                 = stmp_dokhl1 "data

Regards,

Naresh.

0 Kudos

Thanks NAresh.

But can you tell me how do i create the RFC destination. I am new to abap.

Can you please help me in solving this?

0 Kudos

Hello Anis,

It is easy task, but its better if basis people can create the RFC destination.

Approach your basis team regarding the same.

Let me know if you want to do it by your self.

--Naresh.

0 Kudos

Naresh,

I checked with the basis people and they say that only functional and abapers can work on this.

Can you please tell me the procedure?

0 Kudos

Hi,

To create an RFC destination go to TC - SM59. Select ABAP connections or R/3 connections depending on the version you are working on.

Select abap connections and click on create button.

Specify the name of the RFC destination for ex: P_DEV keep the connection type as 3 and give all the necessary credentials IP address, system number and logon security tab specify the User name and Password for target system through which you can connect to the system.

And call the FM that specified earlier by passing the RFC desination.

--Naresh.

0 Kudos

Just for info, y don't u set up an IDOC from Prod to development whenever the master data experiences any problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you tried this out on your security guys? I wouldn't want to work in your company, since I'd be extremely unhappy if I thought my personnel master data had been copied to Development instance for the ABAP noobies (and everybody else) to see...

andrea_olivieri
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Moving the master data (not transactional data) from production to development can Be achieved by using the ALE (Application Link Enabling).

You can find tons of info in the network.

[ALE Faq|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/webcontent/uuid/100e954a-0f36-2b10-dfa9-9c3880da7ff3] [original link is broken];

[ALE Wiki|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ABAP/ALEandIDocs]

[ALE Quick Start|http://help.sap.com/printdocu/core/Print46c/en/data/pdf/CABFAALEQS/CABFAALEQS.pdf]

Regards,

Andrea

Former Member
0 Kudos

What you are looking for is a test system with the same security status as the production system, a routine to anonymize the data after the copy and an "emergency" procedure to obtain the additional access to debug, execute the business functions, etc.

If you have productive data which has legal or business requirements for protected access, then having it in a development system is not a good idea...

Cheers,

Julius