cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

Can you please tell me if maintaining Resource in a PPM is Mandatory or optional. If optional then in what situations we maintain it?

Best Regards,

KING

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Resources are mandatory in PPMs for scheduling operation work for say manufacturing products .

In SAP R/3- ECC terms, a PPM contains a Bills of Materials and Routing .

In routing we have operations which have resources (work centers in SAP R/3 terms) where the work is carried out . Unless we have resources , we will not be able to schedule work .

One of the main objectives of having APO is to have planning of critical resources and critical products in business.

I hope this clarifies.

Regards

Datta

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In Subcontracting case , you can map it through a PDS . you can follow the below steps:

a) Create a production version with BOM only

b) Create a subcontracting type inforecord and mention the production version in the purchasing data inside the infor record. CIF it across it will create a T-lane from the the vendor to the tolling plant of subcontracting type

c) Create IMODS for SNP and PPDS PDS of subcontracting type. this would create the PDS at the vendor location.

d) Heuristics run will create SNP Preqs of subcontracting type in APO which will be transffered to R3 as subcontracting receipts.

e) Create a Tlane for the component from the tolling plant as source to vendor as destination to have the distribution demand coming from vendoe to tolling plant.

Award points if it helps

Regards

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

As suggested earlier , Resource is mandatory in PPM. However you can use PDS instead of PPM if there is specific reason for not using a resource e.g. could be subcontracting.

In case of subcontracting , you can map it as either as PDS without a resource (SNP PDS and PPDS PDS) or as a PPM also where you can use a dummy workcenter/resource assigned to Routing in R3.

Let me know if it helps

Regards

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gaurav,

You are right, i am dealing with the Subcontracting scenario. Can you please eloborate the Prererquisites to be maintained as we are having a question unanswered whether to use a Resource in the PPm.

Best Regards,

KING

b_valavan
Participant
0 Kudos

HI,

In Subcontracting you have two scenarios thats possible

1. Components required are provided from the plant to the Subcontractor or

2. Components required are provided by a Third party to the sub contractor and not the plant.

Let me know what business process is being followed ?

Rgds

BVN

Former Member
0 Kudos

BVN,

I am using the 1st case of Subcontracting where Plant supplies the components to the Subcontracting Vendor.

Guys,

They dont want us to use PDS, want to stick with PPM only.

Best regards,

KING

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its a Subcontracting Scenario where the Plant Provides the components to the Subcon Vendor.

It is a must for us to maintain a PPM (dnt want to use PDS).

Q. In this case is it mandatory to maitain Resource for the PPM? or BOM,ROUTING & PRODUCTION VERSION is good enough?

Best regards,

KING

b_valavan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi - I presume you plan in PPDS . Refer the below link and it meets all your querries.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm70/helpdata/en/34/8ede53ef0dbc4dbce5346cd79c1fae/frameset.htm

Rgds

BVN

Edited by: B Valavan on Apr 8, 2010 11:15 AM

Edited by: B Valavan on Apr 8, 2010 11:16 AM