cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the specific Linux update requirements for BO Enterprise XI R2?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm having a lot of trouble clarifying the exact operating system requirements for an older release of Business Objects Enterprise. Is anybody able to help me with this at all please?

The "BUSINESSOBJECTS ENTERPRISE XI RELEASE 2 SP3 FOR LINUX - SUPPORTED PLATFORM INFO" document (found at http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc/index?rid=/library/uuid/9002df91-9c3e-2b10-2193-e9ed2633859e) states:

u201C

Supported Operating Systems

u2022 Red Hat 4.0 Advanced Server

u2022 Red Hat 4.0 Enterprise Server (1)

u2022 SuSE Linux 9.0 Enterprise Server

(1) Install workaround required. Refer to KB4026578 article.

"

Does this mean that Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 is the only version which is supported please?

Does it mean it mean that versions of RHEL 4, including updates like RHEL 4.7 (ES) are not supported please?

A later section of the same document states that there is a "minimum patch level for Red Hat 4.0" which could imply that 4 GA is a minimum.

(Note that the software appears to work fine on RHEL 4.7, but we want to ensure that support will be available.)

Why I'm posting here:

I support Linux servers. They're running a software solution provided by another company which includes a licensed copy of BO Enterprise. This other company isn't interested in following up on the specific requirements and have asked us to downgrade our servers from RHEL 4.7 to RHEL 4.0 (that is RHEL 4 GA).

Since we don't directly have a support agreement with SAP, technical support won't help me.

Thank you very much,

Dave.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

only support can give you an official statement if your RHEL Version is supported.

Cause you dont have support i would recommend you downgrade to the OS listed in the supporetd platforms document.

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sebastian,

I appreciate what you're saying, but downgrading is a significant backwards step.

I'm in the process of planning upgrades of all of our other RHEL servers and am determined not to downgrade those running BO Enterprise just because this document is unclear.

It's very disappointing that support won't answer a general question like this without requiring a contract.

Perhaps I should try to contact sales (although they would probably try to sell a newer version of the software!)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Further to this:

"Red Hat" 4 (specifically mentioned in this document) was released in 1996.

"Red Hat" Linux was discontinued in 2004 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hat_linux)

However,

"Red Hat Enterprise Linux" 4 (point zero or GA) was released in February 2005.

So to follow the exact letter of the law I'd have to install an operating system from 1996!! I highly doubt this is what is intended and feel that the requirements document requires updating.