cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal reports 11 performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings all,

I am having speed issues when creating reports within CR.

It takes a long time to produce reports when I select certain fields from our sql server.

The average time to produce a report takes about 15 minutes but it also varies to which data we are pulling through.

What are the features that effect this?

We recently bought a high performance computer which is capable of high number crunching.

I can confirm that the computer is running on a high speed network (gigabit)

The server has the necessary specs for data transfer / speed

When a report has been completed, I decide to modify a field or decide to add in "one" field of data. When I refresh the report is replicates the whole data from the database which takes another 15 minutes. This causes alot of pain and suffering from waiting so long.

Can anyone please share some ideas of how I can make this process faster? I spoke with a SAP representative on the phone once and he advised me to use the selection expert (apparently the expert stores the data on the computer as cache so it doesn't have the pull the data each time)

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The first step in determining where performance issues are requires running the query used by the report directly in the database, like through SQL Server Management Studio. If the query takes 10+ minutes there, there's nothing that you'll be able to do to the report (shy of changing the SQL used, if possible) to speed it up.

Another question relating to report performance would be, how much data is being returned from the database. If it's 100's of gigs, it doesn't matter how fast your network is, it will take some time. Again, changing the report to return as little data as required could help this.

So, how long does the query take outside of Crystal? How many rows are returned, and how large are they?

HTH,

Carl

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

It may be that the fields you are using are not indexed and the delay may be server side. It may also be that you have all of the Verify Database options set to Yes in the Report Options.

Is it MS SQL Server you are using?

How are you connecting, ODBC, OLE DB or ???? Have you tried one of the other connectivity options/drivers? May be an ODBC or OLE DB driver issue.

Thank you

Don