cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dedicated SolMan required for ...?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i have a question which i was not able to answer by reading guides or searching in the sdn, so maybe there is not such a question in this forum already or i am blind.

My question is:

As it is finally possible to use a SolMan for totally different landscaped or customers, are there limitations in the kind, that there has to be a dedicated SolMan for new releases? I heard that if you have a Portal at version 7.0, you have to have a dedicated SolMan, instead of a shared one, otherwise SAP will not maintain any support for the Portal landscape.

Is that only a rumor, or is it true? I was not able to validate this information.

thanks in advance for any information

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

This is definitely not accurate as I have not heard of you needing a separate Solution Manager box only for the portal. As long as your system is capable of handling the load, you may have many things going on in the Solution Manager box and not only save it for the portal.

Hope this helps you out.

Regrads,

Mark

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

Just one more thing to add, I am a message processor for Solution Manager and have never heard any such thing as not supporting a Portal system unless it is on a dedicated Solution Manager system, so this is just rumor.

Regards,

Paul

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

No you do not need to dedicate a Solution Manager system to the Portal. We have customers with their portal managed along with other solutions, and they have had no need to dedicate a Solutiion Manager server to the Portal.

The whole point of having a Solution Manager system is to manage the customer's system landscape.

Of course depending on how large the the landscape is, you may need to distribute the load over clustered Solution Manager systems, or size to a larger server. The answer really depends upon your available resources. The Portal is just a managed system. Now if you are runnign service desk, this can place a load on the solution manager system, so if it is not sized large enough, you may elect to dedicate a service to run Support Desk.

But the requirement would only be a requirement if your current server(s) are not sized properly.

I hope this answers your question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Raise an OSS message and check with SAP do they need seprate SOLMAN for Portal.

Cherers

Deepanshu