Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Import with Workflow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

A simple question.

During an automatic Import through MDIS via an Inbound Port, How can anyone ensure that when a particular field is blank, then record should not be saved/imported into MDM ? How can this be achieved?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

What is this field and the field type? Is this a uniique field for the repository- Record ID?

To start with you can select this filed as one of the matching fields in the import map and also change the Null intrepretation to Ignore. So if the source file has records with blank values for this field(NULL) it will not be created.

But not sure if this field in itself is an unique field for the repository.

Otherwise we can suppress such records in the PI middleware if you are using an automated interface. Interface will check the source file before placing it in MDM Inbound ready folder and any records are missing that field it should be suppressed.

best regards

Ravi

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think this can be achieved. Checkin the workflow at the start step. In the workflow add a validation step. In the validation put expression to check whether the Field is Null or Has Value.. Now add a branch step after validation result.it will branch workflow based on Field has value or is null. In the workflow validation fail branch, add stop step with "Roll back" Option. In the second branch Step, add steps as per your requirement.

Try it and revert if you face any issue or need any more information.

Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shiv,

Thanks for the response but is there a way to ignore the records that have blank in a particular field 'before' the workflow is triggered? Your answer seems to be ok if the records are to be ignored 'after' the workflow is triggered.

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I doubt if the requirement to ignore records that have blank in a particular field 'before' the workflow is triggered can be achieved. But lets wait for MDM expert to suggest any possible solution for this.

Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per my understanding this is not possible to ignore records that have blank in particular field before work-flow triggered.

You can use Branch step to pass populated fields to Stop(Check-In) and Blank fields to Stop(Roll-back). I feel as you said record should not be saved/imported into MDM would be taken care as this records not be committed before Stop step (check-in/Roll-back) into MDM.

Other way is to import records on the basis of this field as Matching field as you can set Null interpretation to Ignore which result in only Populated values of this field to import into MDM. But make sure that this field should have unique values for every record creation into MDM else you would not achieve the desired result. If you feel that every value of this field will be unique, only then you should go for this approach.

If you are creating records though MDM Data Manager only then Automatic Execution = Error is effective

Create a validation IS_NOT_NULL(Field) and set this Automatic Execution = Error.

So as you are importing records through import manager then i feel that you should go for Work-flow as it does not commit or actually create record till Stop step of work-flow and seems to best fit into your requirement.

You can also use PI as suggested by Ravi.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini