cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

worst case scenario for spam update error

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi friends

i need to know what is the worst case scenario if our support package stack update(SPAM) process fails. I am asking this question because we dont have a DR system.I mean we dont have test server to check our restore & recovery. We have ECC 5.0 and our SPAM updates are long overdue. I need to convince the management to prioritize this activity and my boss thinks that since we dont have test server if anything goes wrong then we might have to restore the db which he is not in favor of.

i would really help if you could provide me some suggestions.

thanks in advance.

regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member198270
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nathan, Your question is quite valid. however it is always advised to apply patching in dev then qas then Prod.

But still if you have only production system and you want to apply patches. before performing any patching please have a complete back-up(online Or Offline) so that you can restore the same incase of worst case scenario.

Also, I would advice you to have a support pack stacks with known problems note handy so that you can take ac tion accordingly.

Go for the latest kernel before patching so that you have latest tp R3 and disp+work.

Hope it helps.

Regards, Amber S | ITL

Edited by: Amber S on Apr 4, 2010 1:36 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

many thanks amber for your reply

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Nathan,

Very first you need to convince your management that since you didn't had the Support package update in your system actually you are not having the latest corrections available in the system. As per Best practise you should keep the systems to the latest available support package levels.

Now, to your question.Support package update is a easy but critical activity. Easy because it is bit effortless and critical because major changes are involved with the corrections. UPdate for BASIS support package can bring your system to HIghly unstable state (I am just talking about Worst case scenarios) as they update the system basis tables. Application component packages if aborted due to some errors can have problems in the business cycles.

So anyways you'll have to keep proper backup of your system available just to make sure if, by chance you are not able to complete the SP update under the given downtime window you should have the possibility to restore and release the systems to the business users.

This will not be the new thing you'll be doing as majority of the customers don't have DR server to the rescue.

You can discuss with your team and decide a suitable backup strategy.

I hope it helps.

Best Regards

NIraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

many thanks niraj for your reply...