cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with import server automation(MDIS)...........

Former Member
0 Kudos

When i am importing the delimiter text data file manually with import manager(by both port method & delimiter file), 1116 records are getting imported, but when i do import server automation with same file & Map only 130 records are getting imported in to repository.

Details of server.

SAP MDM 7.1.04.122 (SP4)

Observations

1. In sap MDM console when i see port details, the status of port is : HAS exception.

2. In Exception folder log is created in ImportX subfolder.

3.in log folder, in files i could see most of lines as

<Failure ts="2010/04/01 12:43:26.084 GMT" tid="4184" entry-no="39" operation="Import" import-action="Create" row="1">One or more field values are invalid</Failure>

Did anyone faced the similar issue, or did i do any mistake or missed any step...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srinivas

Try this way copy the file from the expection folder to desktop and try to import them through import manager. If all records are through there is no problem with file, but there should be problem with ethier mapping or structure. Please check whether you are using the correct mapping or not.

and also try the following setting for MDIS:

Automap unmapped values: Yes

Unmapped value handling: Add

Other way to solve the problem may be to edit the XML file and accomidate the new value in the XML

check this out - http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/80ad0cff-19ef-2b10-54b7-d4c7eb4390dd

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

i am not getting value mapping exceptions, i checked the exception folder , a log file is created in ImportX folder ie i think iam getting importX exception. any way i tried the what u said, but with no use.

log file which is created in ImportX folder has only one line, that line is the header of the data file which we provided in ready folder.

even after deleting all the files/logs etc in the port folders, still in console it shows status: HAS EXCEPTION

XML file created in log folder looks like this

<Failure ts="2010/04/02 18:43:44.380 GMT" tid="5448" entry-no="4661" operation="Import" import-action="Create" row="252">One or more field values are invalid</Failure>

<Failure ts="2010/04/02 18:43:44.380 GMT" tid="5448" entry-no="4662" operation="Import" import-action="Create" row="253">One or more field values are invalid</Failure>

can u please let me know, what should i do to solve this problem

Thanks & Regards,

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

In console it shows status: HAS EXCEPTION , till the time there are some files in Exception and sub-exception Folders.

Please go to your required Port->Exception folder, delete all the files from this Exception Folder as well as delete the files from Sub Exception folders too like Value Exception and Structure Exception. Once you will delete all the files from Exception as well as subexception folders. This issue would be resolved.

Note: After deleting all the files from exception and subexception folders, Please make sure that you refresh MDM Console from VIEW MENU

Revert with result.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

i deleted all the logs in exception folder, and status of the folder changed to empty, i again try to automate the import process, still i could'nt import all the records, which i can import through manual process ie using import manger(both port method & delimeter text ). a exception log file has been created in ImportX folder of Exception folder of the port, which has only header of the data file written on it, what i am not able to figure it out is, why all records are not getting imported, if there is a problem with those records which are not been imported, how do i figure it out, as in log file of ImportX, i could'nt file any records except the header of data file..., is there anyway to know where these records which are not imported are written in log..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

As you said that status of your import Exception is Empty once you delete all the records from Exception folders.

But when you again import records through MDIS all records are not getting imported. right?

I feel that it could be also possible that saved map which you are using into Port may have missed field/values.

So, I would suggest please go for this step by step and let me know if you face any issue.

1st step: Open this file using Import manager Type = Delimited text, select your Remote System and Delimiter as per your requirement. Map all your Fields and Values. Make sure that all your desired fields and their values are mapped correctly.

Now in the last come to import status and check that Action items: Ready to import . Don't import records here but save this map File-->Save As->Give Map name say MAP1 and then close your import manager.

2nd Step: Put this file into Ready folder and make sure that you MDIS services is stopped so that you can open this same file using MDM Import Manager Type = Port and select you required Remote system which you defined in MDM Console while defining Port and make sure that this port in console also contain the same map MAP1. Also make sure that you put same Delimiter Correctly in port as you put during mdm import manager.

check the status of Import into Import status Tab as Action items: Ready to import or not. It should have Action Items: Ready to import if not then map the missing values/fields and then Go to File-->Save.

Now Run your MDIS Services, and put this same file into your ready folder. This should import all of your records into MDM and i feel this will solve your Problem with MDIS.

Revert with result.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mandeep foir your reply , i tried the way you told me by using port method, i could see ready to import in Action items, but when i did using MDIS, still i could only import only very few records as compared to manual import. is there any other way to check what i am doing wrong.

one more question is there anyway we can find out which record is getting imported and which record is not, i think there should be a log or file created for unimported records, so that we correct the data and reimport . i thought it i will be created in Exception folder, but when i checked it, i could only see the header of the data file. can you please let me know the process of correcting unimported files if there is any data mistake.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Whenever value or import exception occurs, original file will be copied in to Archive folder and also some information will be

copied in to either valuex or imporx folder depending on the type of exception.

You can see the reasons for expections in the logs folder.

/mds/Distributions/DatabaseName/RepositoryName/Inbound/Remotesystem/Port/Log

Please check the log files and revert back.

Thanks,

Narendra

Edited by: Mullapudi Narendra on Apr 7, 2010 5:17 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

i tried the way you told me by using port method, i could see ready to import in Action items Here i would say just import data and check whether using MDM Import Manager Port concept are you able to import data completely. If it is importing completely then its OK else again need to work on Saved MAP for this Port.

If your data imported completely through this way. Now Put file in ready folder and start your MDIS services. Complete data should go. If still not complete data goes then as you asked can you please let me know the process of correcting unimported files if there is any data mistake.

Suppose data is not imported completely using MDIS, then you have files in exception folder OK. Now Open MDM Data Manager, Select Port: Here you will get file name with Exception in Square brackets in the dropdown list like this FILENAME(EXCEPTION). Select it and then select required remote system, it will open file which actually is in your Exception folder, here make the necessary changes like field/value mapping and then Save this map again and then import. As soon as you import it, file disappears from Exception folder and next time this problem will not come and should get resolved.

i think there should be a log or file created for unimported records, so that we correct the data and reimport . i thought it i will be created in Exception folder, but when i checked it, i could only see the header of the data file

Besides check logs suggested by Mullapudi, You need to also check the logs in MDIS/Log for every import file as well.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for you answers, in log it says one or more fields are wrong, but its not specifing which field of the record has the problem, is there any way to find out.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas

Was going through the import manager reference guide and found following facts, see if this helps in resolving the issue-

Text Formats

MDIS supports the following text formats: ASCII, UTF8, UTF16.

In delimited text files, all records must terminate with either a line-feed

(LF) or carriage-return/line feed (CR/LF), depending on which platform

MDIS is running. On Windows platforms, records must terminate with

CR/LF; on Unix, records must terminate with LF.

When a text file is placed in a port for importing, the fileu2019s delimiter or

column widths must match the delimiter/column width values defined for

the port in the MDM Console (see u201CPorts Tableu201D in the MDM Console

Reference Guide for more information).

NOTE ►► To avoid problems with column name matching, using7-bit

ASCII for all column header names is strongly recommended.

Thanks

Ravi

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think this is default behaviour of MDIS. It imports records which don't have any issue, but fails those records which has some value mapping issues.

This is the reason by from Import Manager you are getting 1116 records and by import server you are getting 130 Records, Because the rest of records are having some value mapping exception and they are not imported. If you connect to port[exception] through import manager, then you can see those records and can import manually .

To solve this, follow below mentioned steps:

1. Either connected to Port manually (*it will be enable with [Exception] through import manager) or to original source file through import manager. Perform required value Mapping. and save import map with "Save update" option. now you can test updates by again dropping source file on the port.

I am assuming that , you have already specified MDIS UNMAPPED VALUE HANDLING Options. If not, please go through page no 295 of data manager reference guide to do same.

Also, please check SAP Note 1290407.

Please check and revert if you face any issue.

Regards,

Shiv