Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero Downtime for high availability systems

manish_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have installed high availability system with SAP ECC 6.0/Oracle on HP-UX 11.31. In that I have created and installed SAP on two different packages for CI & DB.

Now whenever we are testing failover, SAP Services are not coming up automatically.

Kindly suggest what needs to be done so that all sap services come up automatically in case of failover. Also any tools are required to be installed on HP-UX for this.

Regards,

Manish Singh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Services are not coming up automatically

Have you added the startup scripts to the failover software ?

Thanks,

Naveed

manish_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveed,

Thanks for your reply.

We are not using any software for failover. Its just HP Service Guard under which cluster, ci & db packages are configured and running.

Failover is done by this HP Service guard only.

Is there any file where I can put these scripts.

Regards,

Manish Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manish,

Not sure where to put the script but you can look up this on HP's website. I did a quick search and found this doc.

[Managing Serviceguard Extension for SAP|http://docs.hp.com/en/T2803-90013/T2803-90013.pdf]

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Naveed

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

richard_howard
Active Participant
0 Kudos

If you are using Service Guard, you either have your own scripts embedded into the package or you are using the Extension set from HP that has all of that for you. Typically, it's under /etc/cmcluster/<package name> and you can look at the log from the package to see where it is failing.

Splitting up your CI from DB adds a bit of complexity, so you just have to be careful that each knows where the other is running and that both servers in each cluster are identically configured. Your core issue can't really be resolved until you look at those logs from your failover attempt to see what actually failed.

A common problem I've seen is with the sequence of tasks in the package definition. You have to be very thorough that tasks are done in proper sequence. For example, the DB instance has to be started before the CI instance can be started. If they are on different servers or a different cluster, coordinating all of that is critical.

I know a lot of Basis folks don't get access to the Service Guard Logs but you'll never solve the issue until you do. Those logs have a lot of stuff like starting the volume group and checking the heartbeat, but there will be one section that will be very familiar with the startup of the Oracle Listener and the startup of the DB and the startup of the CI. Work with your Unix Admin to get those logs.