cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling a Web Service from Mobile - UI options

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

I have a scenario where the backend SAP functionality is exposed as a web service and we need to call it online from a mobile handheld device (Symbol with Pocket PC client 2003, IE browser 4.0). Is it possible to call this web service from the handheld? Do we have to write the web service call on the J2EE stack using NetWeaver developer studio?

Also, what UI technology is recommended for showing the data from the web service call. The idea is to get some user input on the handheld, and then post a transaction via the web service on SAP. I discussed with some of my colleagues and they recommend to use JSP/Servlets for this. Does anybody has a better idea, (the JSP/Servlets does not seem correct). Should we use native XSLT or something else.

Please note that the Mobile Web Dynpro has limitations on the UI side and the "onEnter", "setFocus" does not work, specifically on the netweaver 2004s release. The backend ERP system we have is 2004s and I'm trying to make a web service call from a NW 2004 client.

Any ideas or pointers will be appreciated and points awarded. Thanks for your time.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

Any thoughts on this request? I need some guidance and pointers so that we don't commit very basic design related mistakes. Much appreciated.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay!

Yes, To call a WebService you will have to write your Own Application using NWDS.I donot have any specific recommendation for the UI Technology to be used.

Usage of "OnEnter" and "SetFocus" with NW2004s has certain limitations below.

"OnEnter" is not a supported feature as of now especially for WD applications on Handheld Devices.

"SetFocus" will work on IE6.0 Standard Desktop Browser with WAS7.0 SP06 and i believe it will work in hand held devices if your using WAS7.0(NW2004s)SP8 and you are using the latest Symbol Device that has Windows Mobile 5.0 OR Windows CE.NET 5.0.I understand that there could be some limitations with the OS and the IE you are currently running in the device.

Let me know your views.

Thank You

Gisk

Answers (0)