Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implimenting DR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am implimenting DR site for testing.

for that I have complited following task.

On another server I have complited installation of O/S (HP-UX 11.31 with same mount point as primary site) and SAP ECC 6 on Oracle 10g. I have also apply kernal patch of SAP same as primary site.

Next Step : If I restore offline backup of Oracle database to DR site, creating standby controlfile and start to archive of redo logs to 2nd destination i.e. DR site. i.e. same as we impliment DR site for Oracle Database.

After this activity will I have to transfer any file related to SAP from primary to DR site or any patch needs to be applied to make it similar as primary system before restoring Oracle Database Backup to DR site?

Whether there is any gap in above activity?

Thanks in advance,

Nirav

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) Install new server with same platforms

2) Update SAP Kernel/DB patches

3) Restore Full Online/Offline backup from source to DR

4) Mount DR database with standby mode(by creating standby controlfile from source)

5) Start shipping archivelogs and start applying

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are restoring with the Offline backup no need to bother about temp files. If not you may have to create the temp file at DR site when you opened the DR system.

copy the initSID.sap and initSID.ora and sapfileSID.ora to the DR site when the DR site database is down.

after copying the above file modify the initSID.sap file with the new tape address. This will be use fill when you are going to take the backup.

If the both server resources are same then you can use the spfileSID.ora which you copied from the source database.

if not you may face some memory bottlenecks.

always best practice is once after the creation of DR open the DR and check whether the application(SAP) is starting or not. and the restore the DR with the PRD system and make the standby database.

Thanks,

Chaitanya

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos
I have tried to install SAP License of my DR site to my primary site but it gives error as

:

confusing your query...hope you are trying to install new license on you DR

This system's system number is "000000000311085114", but there is a license key for system number "000000000311364301" in the license

this should not happen if you are following correct steps in installing new license.

1) Delete all invalid licenses on your DR by using saplicense -delete option

2) Find the hardware key of your DR by executing saplicense -get

3) Generate new licnese with the hardware key of DR under any installation number(on SMP)

4) Install new license using saplicense -install

Suggetion: there are multiple queries in this thread which should not entertailed, close your primary thread and open new thread if you are facing new issues

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nirav,

Suggetion: If your primary question got resolved/if you have received prompt solution from the techies....just close this thread.

For subsequent queries, you may open new thread.

Thanks for understanding

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

I will close this thread withine 2-3 days. I am not closing this thread right now because this thread covers many important points which can be usefull to others who want to impliment DR.

Regards,

Nirav

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Chaitanya:

Please check your online backup ...it will not cover the temp data files in to the backup.

I know that and there would be nothing in psaptemp data file contents

so when you restore the DR with the online backup as and when you open the DR database then you have to recreate the temp datafiles or you need to reattach

Not required.....my answer is same, just imagine homogenous system copy using backup restore method

Hi Nick Loy correct me if i am wrong.

You are correct.....you may have to look at backup/restore

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Chaitanya:

I mean to say that if you use online backup to recreate the DR then you may have to recreate the data files for the PSAPTEMP table space. Because these files will not copy in to the online backup.

No, this step is not required (If you are recreating temp files manually, what would be the use of roll back)

for clarification imagine Homogenous system copy by using online backup restore.....there also we never create temp files

.....just restore online+archivelogs............this is just for your info.

@Nirav:

You can test the data sync by updating one table entry in source and comparing the same on DR

Or

By finding the no of applied archivelogs

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

If I activate the standby database for production use, will it required any license key due to new hardware?

Thanks and Regards,

Nirav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. What you can do is get the hardware key from DR hardware and apply for the license. And after that apply the license into your Production system.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have confusion here.

1. Should I generate the license key before restoring backup from production site i.e. after initial installation of SAP on which standby database will be configured and use that key after actvating standby database. That will work ?

2. Or I have to generate new key after activating DR?

Thanks and Regards,

Nirav

ashish_mishra2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nirav,

Once you restore the production database on DR site, license key will become invalid.

License key between prod and DR sites, will vary only in terms of your hardware keys.

so you will have to apply key after restoring the database. you can do so from OS level as well.

Even though you do not apply the key, SAP system will be started without any issue. But only SAP* will be

able to login. this way you can do ur testing.

Suggestion is to keep a copy of SAP license at OS level always.

Cheers !!!

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nirav,

What you can do is install SAP license for your DR in your current production system. So once you restore backup from production site the license key for DR will already be installed and then you don't have to do anything.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Naveed

ashish_mishra2
Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> What you can do is install SAP license for your DR in your current production system. So once you restore backup from production site the license key for DR will already be installed and then you don't have to do anything.

>

Naveed,

Hope you would be sure of what you are replying. Do you really think that DR license should install on prodction system first ?

Restore from production system would bring prodcution license ( hardware key, system ID, nr..etc ) along with database.

whereas DR host would have got different HARDWARE key.

Nirav,

Once we bring up the DR instance very first time, you will have to apply SAP license which is requested on SMP using DR host hardware key, prod. system ID, system Nr. and installation number.

Regards,

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ashish,

I am sure what I am replying as I have this working. We have five p-series frames three of them our on-site and two of them in a different city which is our DR as well. We have enqueue/message server installed separately. Now, using virtulization I can move my ASCS to any of the five frames. So knowing that I can failover/ or allocate my partition on to a different frame I can get the hardware key for all 5 frames, apply for license and then install all the 5 licenses. Now the system can run on any frame and I don't have to worry about license keys.

In Nirav case prod. system ID, system Nr. and installation number will be the same except the hardware key, so he needs to request for another license with DR hardware key and he can install it in current production system. Once DB is restored to DR nothing needs to be done from a license perspective.

Hope I have explained it clearly.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

@ Nick Loy

Please check your online backup ...it will not cover the temp data files in to the backup.

so when you restore the DR with the online backup as and when you open the DR database then you have to recreate the temp datafiles or you need to reattach .

Hi Nick Loy correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

chaitanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Naveed,

Thanks for you reply.

I have activate standby database.

It gives license problem. I am able to logon through sap* user, so i can get license key and update.

Now I have stargted new testing and I will do the activity as you have sugested. i.e. I will get the license key from sap marketplace and update that in primary site. After that restore backup and start standby database.

I will check after activation of standby database and update message. It will take one day.

Thanking you ones again,

Nirav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Naveed,

I have tried to install SAP License of my DR site to my primary site but it gives error as :

This system's system number is "000000000311085114", but there is a license key for system number "000000000311364301" in the license key file.

We are using ECC 6.

Thanks and Regards,

Nirav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nirav,

On SAP Marketplace which option you are selecting when you are applying for the license. From Keys & requests -> Request permanent license key (installation search) - <Your ERP installation Name>. It should list all the ECC systems. Select System Change for your PRD SID and then on the first screen verify the "system number" It should be the same one that you have for your production system. On the second screen you will get the option for Hardware Key.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Chaitanya:

If you are restoring with the Offline backup no need to bother about temp files. If not you may have to create the temp file at DR site when you opened the DR system.

What is this temp file/contents, and why we need to create this before going for live(And appreciate why this is the additional step for offline backup restore)?

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Nick Loy.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have put my database in managed recovery mode.

Now if I want to test my database, I have to open database in ready only mode.

How can I test my SAP Transactions ?

Thanks to Chaitanya also.

Thanking you ones again

Regards,

Nirav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick Loy,

I mean to say that if you use online backup to recreate the DR then you may have to recreate the data files for the PSAPTEMP table space. Because these files will not copy in to the online backup.

Hi Nirav Bhatt,

You can take any transaction in the R3 PRD live system and execute and check the output value. for the sam transaction you check the SQL command and execute the same in the DR system.

Both the values in both the system should get the same value.

Also make sure that when you are taking the SQL statement that should contain the date selection also. So that you can check the value for the previous date in both the systems.

Thanks

Chaitanya