cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

soap-x-rfc or bapi as webservice? pros and cons

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a scenario here where.. I have to consume a BAPI to a portal application...

Is it better to have SOAP to XI to RFC synch scenario or to have the simple exposing of bapi as a webservice??

can u please share ur thoughts on pros and cons??

Kind Regards

Teja

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhay_rajhans2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Teja,

Are you exposing BAPI directly from your ECC system. means your scenario is like this.

ECC -- BAPI --- Portal. (Let me know if i have mistaken it)

If this is your scenario then it will be good to go by this way. Because it will eliminate the in between undesired layers of SOAP, XI and RFC. As bapi will directly communicate with source and target system. It will also eliminate failure at multiple levels ex: at SOAP, XI and RFC level.

This will also increase response time and faster execution and no need to maintain extra connection parameters.

We had same type requirement in our project. We choose to go ahead with ECCBAPI-PORTAL.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Teja,

If your architecture has already been set: for eg: making PI as the single point of entry for any communication with any back end SAP system(CRM/ECC/BW) in that case always go that route, Main advantage it provides would be a single point of entry - a single point to monitoring . Eventually you'll realize that it'll make your life a lot more easier.

Otherwise you still have another option, which is to directly communicate to the backend system by exposing it as a web service. Its a choice of design you need to make keeping in mind especially maintainability of services and ease of support and monitoring.

Hope this helped!

Hanish John

Edited by: Hanish John on Apr 1, 2010 7:33 AM

former_member206760
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

depends....if u are using XI for all of the data integration....u should not create a point to point connection for one interface alone..

let that interface also to pass through XI so that u have a central monitoring capability ...also u have flexibilty of routing , transformation etc