cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of NetWeaver on Wondiws

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am new to SAP (in fact I have zero experiemce on SAP before). I got several problems while i am installing it.

I have a long story and hope you don't mind.

I am going to install a SAP system (no matter what version) with SQL Server 2008 for some testing purpose.

I downloaded SAP NetWeaver 7.01 trial version and tried to install it in WinServer 2003 (32-bit).

I would like to ask:

1) Does SAP NetWeaver 7.01 trial version work on 32-bit WinServer 2003 and Sql server 2008?

2) If it does not work for 32-bits system, what version of windows i need? I have tried to install it on Windows Server 2008 R2 but it said "You start an installation of software for platform I386, but SAPinst is running on platform AMD64". Where can i find a installation for 64-bits system?

3) Related to Question 1, after I installed sapinst.exe in my WinServer 2003, how can i create the database in SQL Server 2008? I ask this because I do not know how to connect the SAP system with the SQL Server while it seems the database of SAP already installed in the MAXDB.

Sorry if I cannot express my question clearly.

I really hope you can help me for the installation problem.

Thanks.

Simon

Edited by: simonyau on Apr 1, 2010 4:38 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Chk this link out:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/downloads?rid=/library/uuid/80fd9a0a-e306-2a10-c896-b84c77c13ed2

This should give a fair idea about the system requirements. This also has a link to do some trouble shooting.

You can find more answers in this forum,

Trials, Previews & Other Downloads

Regards,

Vishnu

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to find a formal installation media to install with SQL server 2008. Now, SAP only support 64 bit version OS (not for application server). The un-licensed system can run 28 days. I think it is ok if you like to do some tests.

Edited by: Andrew Tao on Apr 7, 2010 5:57 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your inforamtion Markus, it is really useful.

It seems I have to find a license for the sytem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>It seems I have to find a license for the sytem.

You may have found the "inforamtion on Wondiws" but you will have to buy a license...

Olivier

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Olivier, he wants to install trial version. no need to buy this license.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simonyau,

1)

SAP will support the 32bit of windows. But the thing is SQL server 2008 will not support the 32 bit environment.

2)

For the second point SQL server 2008 will not support 32 bit environment so you can not install that in the 32 bit windows system. thats why you are getting that error "You start an installation of software for platform I386, but SAPinst is running on platform AMD64"

3)

if your sap system is already installed why do you want to connect other SQL server to it.

If you want to take the data from SQL server 2008 to the SAP system which is already installed you may have to use PI(XI) for the integration.

hope you are clear with this answers.

Thanks,

Chaitanya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Chaitanya,

Thanks for your reply. It seems I have not explained my point clearly to all of you.

Now, i have a WindowsServer 03 (32-bit) and SQL Server 2008 (32-bit)installed. Then i download and installed the SAP NetWeaver 7.01 trial version. During installation of NetWeaver 7.01 trial version, it does not require me to enter any SQL Server information and it seems the system is installed with its MAXDB successfully.

What i cannot figure out is:

1) where can i set that I am using SQL Server instead of default MAXDB? or NetWeaver 7.01 trial version can only be installed with MAXDB?

2) SQL Server 2008 can work on 32-bit system, but from a document (I forgot where I download it) it mention that

"With products based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 or later, SAP supports only the 64-bit versions of SQL Server 2008".

So I am confuse that my NetWeaver 7.01 trial version work on 32-bit but not 64-bit (error will prompt when i installing SAP system in 64-bit windows) but "NetWeaver 7.01 + SQL Server 2008" should be on 64-bit.

3) In fact, I need a SAP system using SQL Server 2008, but now the system is installed with MAXDB, what can I do in order to have what i need?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Simon

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1) where can i set that I am using SQL Server instead of default MAXDB? or NetWeaver 7.01 trial version can only be installed with MAXDB?

Yes, because for SQL Server you need a license (not only the media) to run it. Since SAP is not allowed to distribute SQL Server because of that they can only distribute the trial versions with their own database.

> 3) In fact, I need a SAP system using SQL Server 2008, but now the system is installed with MAXDB, what can I do in order to have what i need?

You will need

- official installation media (not the trial versions) available at http://service.sap.com/installations

- a license for the system and the database

- an installed and working Solution Manager to generate your installation keys

And: 32bit SQL Server 2008 will not work.

Markus