cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Multi columns in Detail Section

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm converting reports from Crystal 8.5 to Crystal 2008. My old report has a detail section with multiple columns, and I want to remove this formatting. The check box in the section format window is grey and can't be changed. What is the magic combination to get the detail section back to no columns?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I came across a solution for this problem on Experts Exchange. It's not quite the same problem but the "Format with Multiple Columns" checkbox is greyed out.

[Crystal Report Labels Print in Single Column instead of 2|http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Languages/.NET/Visual_Studio_.NET_2005/Q_22834531.html]

The accepted answer was to make sure that there was a printer set for the report. If the no printer option is set for the report then the "Format with Multiple Columns" option is greyed out. Not sure if this will solve everyone's prolbems or not but it's worth a try.

For the record I can't reproduce this problem with a report created in CR2008, whether I have a printer set for the report or not set doesn't seem to grey out the checkbox. So take this solution from 2007 with a grain of salt.

Marshall

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

BattleshipCobra
Contributor
0 Kudos

I ran into this issue after using the "Mailing label report wizard" feature.  I used it for dual column Avery style label printing but when I tried to convert it to a Zebra type single page layout I had to recreate the layout for best results.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a similar problem as follows:

I am trying to modify a report that was created by Business Vision (using Crystal Reports 10) to print a label from within Business Vision. It was configured to print labels 3 across and 5 down on an 8.5x11" page of labels. I am trying to change the format to single column for a thermal printer. Same problems as you stated above. I can't uncheck the "format with multiple columns" check box. It is greyed out.

It appears that this report was created with the Label creation Wizard. I have tried to create a report using this wizard and the same thing happens. Greyed out "format with multiple columns" check box.

Crystal Reports Experts: There has to be a way to change this formatting option. To re-write the complete report with all the selection formulas, parameters etc would take too long.

I'm hoping that some experts from Crystal Reports are monitoring this forum and will be able to offer a solution.

Thanks in advance

Helmut K.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm struggling with the same problem, only I'm currently working with a report in version 8.5. The report was originally designed years ago using the Label wizard, but now the client wants to change it to a regular report.

I decided to "peek under the hood" and this is what I found:

The Crystal Report Object has a property "Kind" which will have a value corresponding to the application constant CRReportKind. The possible values are these: 1 (crColumnarReport), 2 (crLabelReport), or 3 (crMulColumnReport). Versions 8.5 and 10 are the same. I'm thinking that this property is what's preventing us from getting to that grayed-out checkbox. However, it is a read-only property, meaning, obviously, that you can't change it.

The report I'm working with is a 2 (crLabelReport). This is the VB6 code I used to find that:

Dim reportname As String
Dim oApp As CRAXDRT.Application
Dim oKind As CRAXDRT.CRReportKind
Dim oRpt As CRAXDRT.Report
Dim oSection As CRAXDRT.Section

Set oApp = CreateObject("CrystalRuntime.Application")

reportname = "(put the complete path and filename of the report here)"

Set oRpt = oApp.OpenReport(reportname, 1)

Debug.Print oRpt.Kind

Set oRpt = Nothing
Set oApp = Nothing

It doesn't look promising. You will probably have to redo the report, or, it may be possible to recreate the report in VB only setting the Kind property to 1. If someone else can verify that this is doable, it may be the best solution.

Edited by: marykDBA on Jun 4, 2010 10:59 PM

Edited by: marykDBA on Jun 4, 2010 11:01 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, I only have 1 details section. In fact, there's no data in that section at all. I'm baffled, so any other suggestions are welcomed! Actually, I've tried changing the size of the columns and rows to see if that would work, but it didn't.

Edited by: Graham Consulting on Apr 1, 2010 5:07 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check to make sure that the Lock Format & Lock Size/Position aren't turned on. Both are on the Formatting toolbar atthe top of your screen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What do the buttons on the toolbar look like? I searched all menu options and toolbars for anything like these and can't find them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is that it looks like on my computer...

[http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfw4s657_8d7s8qzkw]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I see those. They only pertain to formatting for the fields/formulas/etc. I need to figure out the formatting for the Details section.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Those are the only 2 things that I can think of that would keep you from being able to manipulate objects on the Design tab. Even if the the Details section is suppressed, you should still be able to alter the design.

Are you able to change other report objects?

Are you working on a local copy of the report?

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you right click the word Details next to the Details section and choose Selection Expert, you'll have an option that says Format with Multiple Columns.

Is there a check in that box??? If so, remove the check and see if that helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's the problem. There is a check in the box and the box is greyed-out. See print screen here:

[http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_n3TV0jNmx7ODhhMzBhMDYtYmYzZC00MmM2LTg1YjktYzcxMmQ2MjY1ZGNi&hl=en]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very strange!

Your pic doesn't show it, but I'm guessing that you have more than 1 Details section.

I took a guess and added an additional Details section to a test report and the "Format with Multiple Columns" disappeared completely... (I'm using CR XI R2).

I'd be willing to be that if you were to delete any other Details sections, you'll be able to access that check box.

Try it on a copy...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you really have 30 group header 3 formats???!!!! Maybe you've hit some limit! (Just kidding!)

This is a WAG, but is there anything in the Layout tab that might be preventing it? (I just checked what's on that tab and didn't see anything obvious, but...) Maybe try setting the measurements all to zero, and un-check the multiple columns for groups if it's checked.

HTH,

Carl