cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Input element as link_to_action

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a cell on my table which has an input field. I want to make this as a Link_to_action field. Once the user enters some value on the input field , I want this value to be displayed as a link and if the user clicks on the link , I want to show a Cell popin to show the details of the field. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can't you just have one more table cell ( of type LinkToAction ) saying 'Show Details' which will then open the popin if the value in input field is filled, if it is not filled then give a error message instead.

Key is to keep the UI simple and intuitive to the user.

Regards

Manas Dua

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd have to agree with Manas - he makes a very good point:

Key is to keep the UI simple and intuitive to the user.

having to make a user press enter in a cell (to trigger the onEnter functionality) is not very intuitive.

However, contrast that against the irritant value of users typing in an invalid key value and then seeing an error message if the value is not valid when they click on the link.

Personally I think the link next to the input field - as suggested by Manas is a better idea, but you may be in a situation where this is not a possiblity.

Good luck in keeping it simple!

Cheers,

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Manas and Chris. What Manas suggested makes sense to me. I'll try to follow this approach.

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ramesh,

might be possible - although link to actions aren't editable text, so you may need some way to allow the user to undo..

suggest that you make the input a normal input field, then trap the onEnter event. This could then take the user's value - perhaps perform some validation on it (like - is it really a valid cost center?) then by using a cell variant (set a flag in your context and bind this to the selected cell variant field of the column) if you were in a table or by hiding the old input field and making visible an action link if you are not.

so user types in input - or potentially uses value help, presses enter - and then the free text field turns into a link. Might be worth having a button next to the to allow the user to revert the link back into an editable text.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Chris