Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP DMS -> SAP ECC network traffic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have the following situation:

The SAP ECC servers are hosted outside my company and we are planning to install a SAP DMS server.

We have 2 options: host the SAP DMS outside or install SAP DMS in our datacenter.

When the SAP user attaches or reads a file to/from SAP DMS, how is the network traffic ?

Is there any traffic fom SAP ECC to SAP DMS or the file goes to/from DMS from/to end-user ?

How SAP DMS impacts my WAN ?

Best Regards,

Leonardo.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Leonardo, I have done some research / trouble shooting and architectural changes to raise the upload / download speeds, there are several dependencies like Network, Application, hardware etc but to your question:

First of all, DMS is a core functionality of ECC and utilizes both ECC for execution and Content Servers (recommended for Obvious performance reasons) for Data Storage. For your case I recommend that you host Content Server at the Data Center (assuming you have no other option) and have a Cache Server installed Onsite. (This requires minimal maintenance). When the user uploads a file the traffic is high as the entire File needs to be transferred to the data center, on the other hand Cache server (if installed onsite) considerably reduces the retrieval time.

Again having said above there are several other parameters that could affect your upload / download speeds.

Hope you'll find this useful, let me know if you have further questions.

regards

C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi N K, thank you for your answer.

I can host my content server onsite.

In this configuration I don´t know if when the user upload or download a file, the file traffics from DMS to ECC and from ECC to frontend or the file traffics only from DMS to frontend.

Best Regards,

Leo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Leo,

Its good that you can host the server on site, but remember it comes with a maintenance over head. Anyways to your question regarding traffic front end is capable of directly communicating with content server, that being said if this fails it will utilize the application server i.e. your ECC system for file transfers. Hope this answers your question.

regards

C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi N K,

Thank you one more time for your answer.

So, if I host my DMS server in my own datacenter I can avoid a WAN upgrade link.

Best Regards,

Leo.

Answers (0)