cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying Sequence from Presentation Hierarchy to Spreads in Publisher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Currently using version 5.5.63.57. We cannot upgrade at this time because our web site is linked to MDM.

I am working in Publisher and trying to figure out how to use the Spreads, Templates, etc. I have printed out the How-To Guide called "How to Create Publications with SAP NetWeaver MDM Using MDM Publisher", but I cannot find any information on this question.

Our category tree is sorted for our web site use. When we create a publication it is initially in the order of the Category tree. We then delete non-family children and sequence within the Presentation Hierarchy window.

Now that it is sequenced, I decided to experiment with the Spreads. In the Spreads window, my families are in the order they were in when I first created my publication. How do I apply my sequencing in the Presentation Hierarchy to the Spreads?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Right click on the presentation hierarchy over Publication Name, and select recalculate presentation objects. I am not sure if it works, but try it and let us know the result.

Regards,

Shiv

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rachel,

I came up with a possible solution that is suitable for MDM 5.5 (in MDM 7.1 this is solved by the recordset publication concept).

Instead of the publication creation manner you described, create an Empty Publication.

This will give you a "clean" Spreads start point that does not take after the default structure.

Drag and Drop families from the Families Pane to their correct place in the Presentation Hierarchy.

(As you mention you need to manually restructure the families anyhow, this will not add manual work)

By doing so, the Spreads will reflect correctly the Presentation Hierarchy structure.

Please let me know if this is helpful.

Regards,

Hedda Cohen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How do you use the "recordset publication functionality"? It sounds like what I need because I am having a similar issue trying to get the spreads to match the presentation hierarchy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hedda,

When we first create our Publication, the families are in the order of our category tree. Our category tree is in the order needed for our web site. We use the "Delete Non-Family Children" option to get rid of the category tree structure. This leaves us with the families only. We then sequence the families into the order we need them to be in for our catalog. We do so by completing a search for each family and drag/drop the family into its correct sequence.

We sequence our families under the Presentation Hierarchy pane because there are hundreds of families to sequence. It is much easier to sequence the families in the Presentation Hierarchy mode because we can do a search for each family and we don't have to wait for each family to load.

When the publication is first created, the pane called Spreads lays out the families into the order that the category tree creates. Since we then sequence the families in the Presentation Hierarchy pane, the Spreads pane is no longer in the same order. Can I update the Spreads pane some how?

We cannot upgrade to 7.1 at this time, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Rachel Work

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rachel,

Spread are the replica of Presentation Objects Snapshot. Firstly you need to Right click on the Spreads header and select Remove Empty Pages. Then Arranging the Catalog using Flow Section. The Flow Section will serve this need by flowing one family to the other and placing them as efficiently as possible to take up the least amount of page space. Before starting pagination, you may need to first Calculate Initial Presentation Objects.

You need to do Recalculate Presentation Objects then for each Spread not Spreads.

The Presentation Objects pane is a dynamic view and the spread is a static view. After using the recalculate option the spread gets synchronized with the Presentation Object Pane incorporating all the updates i.e. when changes are made in the repository data, the result is immediately realized in the Spread pane when we use this option.

Get familiar with Spread functionality using below link:

/people/rakesh.kanaya2/blog/2008/04/09/spread-functionalities-in-sap-mdm-publisher

Also refer, /people/stefanie.deutsch/blog/2006/06/01/introducing-new-mdm-publisher

Hope this helps..

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rachel,

I would like to understand better your motive.

Why direct sequencing of the hierarchy itself is needed rather than sequencing the presentations on spreads?

Also- does the sequencing have a constant logic of ordering by a Hierarchy lookup value? If so, the new MDM 7.1 Recordset Publication functionality can be used in order to create such an ordered publication.If not, can you please describe what kind of reordering of the hierarchy is needed?

Regards,

Hedda Cohen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shiv and Hedda - thank you for your responses. Shiv, unfortunately your suggestion did not work. Nothing happened. Hedda, it is not feasible for us to resequence within the spread because some of our chapters are much too large and it would be very difficult. Are there any other ways of getting the spread to sequence according to the order in the presentation hierarchy? If not, we will just have to continue to do everything in InDesign. Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rachel,

Your observation is correct that changes in the sequence of famillies in Presentation Hierarchy do not influence the sequence in the Spreads.

If you wish to reorganize the Spreads, it is therefore advised that you invest efforts of resequencing the famillies on the Spreads themselves either from the Spread or by higher level in the Spreads (Spread thumbnails).

Empty families may be removed automatically with Synchronize Publication Children and Purge Disconnected Items.

Regards,

Hedda

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hedda,

Thanks for the information. That was useful.

Regards,

Shiv