cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for receiving goods in WM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all.

It is the first time that I am customizing WM for a certain warehouse in a plant.

Customer requirement is mostly to manage storage bins (not complicated for the moment) but they prefer to have manual control, so they decide the bin where the good should be kept but the only difficulty is that the operator that moves the goods from receiving area into warehouse must know at least the area where the goods belong (there are many warehouse areas: consumibles, spare parts, pallet production, raw material direct to production...), normally the parts belong to one area only. Firstly I thought in managing different storage types and a strategy.

I read many procedures but I still have many questions about how the flow should be in the system.

For example:receiving goods, what is the usual way to install the flow? I thought about 3 ways:

• Receive the goods in a fix generic bin and confirm it automatically (done in customizing related to movement 101); then the operator should move the good from this generic bin into the real one in other warehouse area but this imply to create manually a transfer requirement and then a transfer order. Apart from this, the operator only displays the destination area proposed from the system(storage type) in the moment of TO creation but he still doesn´t know the destination bin and can not save the TO

• Receive the goods in 902 storage type; then a transfer requirement is created automatically; operator must obtain a list of all the goods pending to move from receiving area and then create a transfer order where the destination bin should filled manually (not proposed byt the system). The problem is that in this option the area where the good belongs to is not visible until TO is created.

• Create a TO automatically during receiving goods with a fixed dummy destination bin and when the good is kept in real bin, change OT and then confirm it. The operator can have a list of TO pending to be confirmed, will leave the material in real bin and update the system.

I am not sure if any of this possibilities are feasible and useful or nornmally is made in other easier way.

Could any give me a hand on this?? Is it possible to create a TO including only origin data but destination data empty (maybe only destination storage type)??

Many thanks in advance and best regards.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Have some questions before I can answer your requirement:

1. Is the Warehouse using RF? Are you scanning anything after Goods Reciept? You mention the operator moving the goods from the recieving area to the final destination location. What kind of identifier are they using to move the goods?

Is it a barcoded label/paper that is printed after Goods Receipt or are they scanning a barcode on the product?

Without complete knowledge of your scenario, on a High Level, this is what I can think of:

1. Setup your storage types with all the areas that you mentioned.

2. Setup these storage types with " DESTINATION BIN CAN BE CHANGED DURING CONFIRMATION"

Non-RF scenario:

3. Setup Automatic TO for 101 movement type. Depending on your TO split setup, after your GR, you will either have 1 TO with many line items or 1 TO with 1 line each.

4. Since scenario is non-RF, you would have to print the TO's on paper. Setup your form design to only print only the destination Storage type and "not the bin".

5. Give the paper to the user. User will move the products and write down on the paper the bins where he putaway the products

6. user will come back to the system and manually enter the bins into the TO's and confirm them. Since you allowed 'destination bin change" in config, as long as the bin that the user inputs belongs to the same storage type, the system will update and confirm the TO with the new bin.

Option 2: Assuming there is RF in the warehouse:

1. Setup your storage types with all the areas that you mentioned.

2. Setup these storage types with " DESTINATION BIN CAN BE CHANGED DURING CONFIRMATION"

3. Setup Automatic TO for 101 movement type. Depending on your TO split setup, after your GR, you will either have 1 TO with many line items or 1 TO with 1 line each.

4. Print the TO's immediately after Goods receipt. Setup your form/label design to only print only the destination Storage type and "not the bin".This document will also have the TO number barcoded on the document.

5. User carries RF gun, labels/barcoded document and priducts. User will move the products to the destination area.

6. User scans the line item from the document. RF screen will pull up the information of the line the user is processing.

7. Customise your RF transaction/screen to display only the relavent info & storage type on the screen and not the bin.

8. Customize your RF transaction to ask/wait for user input. At this point, user will scan the bin.

9. Pass the bin to your transaction in the background and confirm the TO. The system will confirm the TO with the bin the user has entered. Since you allowed 'destination bin change" in config, as long as the bin that the user scanned belongs to the same storage type, the system will update and confirm the TO to the new bin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many, many thanks for both answers.

And thanks a lot for the detailed description, Guest!!!

In the future we will use barcodes and, in fact, you helped me to see the correct flow!!! Now I am concentrated to see in understanding and seeing it manually but, yes, we will use RF in not a later time.

I will test to do it in this way and my next problem is to indicate the system to split the GR in pallets because they can be stored in different bins, so I don´t know if it is necessary to create different lines in OT based on UA or can have the same line in OT with total quantity. What is the most helpful way? Which are the advantages to split the GR lines in different OTs?

Thanks a lot!!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the solution to this is very simple.

Configure your storage types to 'Allow Changing Destination Bin during confirmation' (Storage type definition).

Create TO by the placement strategy from GR area to the destination.

While confirming the TO the user can change the destination bin (within the same storage type).