cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can rdisp/max_alt_mode profile parameter cause memory problem?

Former Member
0 Kudos

After we increased the parameter to 8 from the default 6 because of the customer asking, we need to reset it to the default and restart the SAP.

We go a lot of error :

(u201EInsufficient Main Memoryu201D; "SPOOL_NO_CONVERSION"; Not enough ROLLR memory for STSOO block ) and a lot of update error.

These problems were comming up at the high level usage time. Now we use the default 6 max sessions but they still would like to increase it. Can anyone give an advice or have an experiance about this problem?

How should i refuse their claim? Or is there anyhitng else what should be set too with max_alt_mode parameter.

It is sapbasis 620 sp level 54.

Thank you very much.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you start to increase the number of external sessions then that means a possible increase in user context which in turn means more roll memory required from extended memory. Judging from your error that's exactly what is happening and you either have not enough roll memory configured and/or you do not have enough available extended memory.

I suggest you check ST02 available memory resources before you decide on changing any parameters.

Nelis

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply,

ztta/roll_area = 4500000 and the multilogon is enable only for the administrators and a few users.

Physical mem available Kb 59.651.344

Configured swap Kb 50.331.648

Maximum swap-space Kb 107.093.392

6 processors

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the value of ztta/roll_area parameter ? Is your existing roll_area is enough to handle multiple logon sessions of the user ?

I have opened the parameter description and found the following.

Parameter : rdisp/max_alt_modes

Short description: Maximum number of external sessions

Parameter description :

You can use this parameter to restrict the maximum number of external sessions a user is allowed to open in one logon. 
You should only change this if the circumstances require it (for example, if there are too many roll areas, or the dialog load is too high). 

Note that  in certain situations the system may create new, hidden sessions automatically (for example, for frontend spooling).
You can change the parameter dynamically. The changes take effect logons that occur after the parameter change.

Caution:
 Up to and including Web AS 6.10, SAP GUI can display a maximum of
 6 external sessions. If you want to set the parameter to a higher
 value, you require a SAP GUI of release Web AS 6.20 or higher.

You should only change this parameter if the circumstances require it (for example, if there are too many roll areas, or the dialog load is too high)

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know how can i change this parameter and which is the min and max number.

I would like to know is there any paramter belongs to rdisp/max_alt_mode and how can it cause the problem what are written above.

So my question is a performance problem by rdisp/max_alt_mode.

Thanks

BalaAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

may please refer to the following thread

A.P.Balasubramanian