cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Data to MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have 2 question regarding Key Mapping, while importing data via Data Manager. We are using SAP MDM 7.1 SP04 (117)

1. Load data to a Lookup table, from 2 different source system. I have an Lookup table, to which i will have to load data from 2 different systems say A, B

and both A and B has a different Key, which i will have to store in the Remote Key.

How to Import this data

Remote System Remote Key Name Code

1. A 1 AAA A1

2. B 2 AAA A1

In the above example, same code and Name has 2 different Remote system and remote key... how to load this data to MDM using Import Manager

2. Load data to Main table for lookup fields. I have a set of lookup tables, for which the data are loaded from system A and say remote Key 1.

But, the data to the main table comes from System B, so the data for these lookup fields are not getting mapped automatically, as it doesnot find the remote system in that lookup. How to load the data, to these fields in the lookup, automatically, without doing a manual value mapping.

Thanks,

Priya.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya

How to Import this data

1. A 1 AAA A1

2. B 2 AAA A1

this can be imported in two passes. In pass1 import all the values for a lookup table with remote keys for system A.

In pass2 import all the values for same lookup table with remote keys for system B. Take care to map the remote keys and while connecting to the excel files in both passes connect to system A and B respectively. Also in Pass2 use update all mapped fields option, the remote keys for system B will be appended.

This will also take care of 2nd problem. While importing the main table records from system B since remote keys are already updated automatic value mapping will happen.

Let me know if you need further help.

BR- Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the information.

I tried the option suggested by you, but it doenot work in that way. The Remote doesnot get appended, instead a new record, with this remote key is created in the Lookup table.

Should we define any Unique key in the table? will that solve the problem

Thanks,

Priya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Priya thats true.

You need to define a unique field or combination of fields as unique key for the look up table. While importing the values for the unique field create clones also in the import map which should be mapped to both the destination field and remote keys.

Also if you have multiple display fields for that lookup tables the unique key defined should be combination of those display fields.

BR-

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

After defining the unique Key and making that in match record. I am able to load the data.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks,

Priya.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

If these Systems A and B are SAP systems, then you should go for MDMGX T-code, for reference data (look-up data) into MDM. Importing look-up data from SAP systems using MDMGX is the Recommended/Standard way. You will then import this reference (look-up data) from both of these systems using Remote Key Concept and you will not face this difficulty. Here you will not face any issue, look-up values get automatically mapped whether Main table data comes from System A or System B.

If you have Source file with four fields as given below:

1. A 1 AAA A1

2. B 2 AAA A1

Then Segregate Records on the basis of Remote systems with two files, one file which will contain records pertaining to Remote System A only and other file contains records with Remote System B only.

Now, Import the data using import manager remote system for these two files separately for Remote System A and Remote System B using Remote Key concept. Once you Import data in this way, you will see both these Remote Systems with key (I mean two values) in Edit Key mapping when you right click on any record of this look up flat table using MDM Data Manager.

Here you will see Remote system B with Key 2 also.

Other alternative, You can also add these Remote key values for System B manually using MDM Data Manager Edit Key mapping. But it will take time to add value for each of records for this look-up flat table for Remote System B.

Your problem for importing main table records from Remote System B will be resolved because now these look-up values get automatically mapped as remote key for both systems maintained into look-up tables.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep,

I have so many lookup tables, do it manually is not possible.

Thanks,

Priya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

You can then do it by file segregation as suggested in my above post. It would resolve your query.

other thing as you said, The Remote doesnot get appended, instead a new record, with this remote key is created in the Lookup table.

See, your record should be single (not twice) in look-up table with two different Remote Key which you can see using Edit Key Mapping option in data manager. For this Make sure that your matching field during import should not be Remote Key otherwise it will create the same record twice i mean duplicate. Select matching Field during import as Name when you import data for system A and then for System B. I hope your Name field is Display field of MDM look-up table and has unique values. you can also set matching field during mdm import as the combination of Name and Code. This will help you. Unique field is not compulsory if as i said fulfill your requirement.

Just check and revert with result.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini