cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP on VMware with Oracel RAC

0 Kudos

Hi All

We are going to use VMWare ESX 3.5 Update 4 for SAP and Database will be on Oracle RAC.

I have few doubts:

1.For HA for SCS/ASCS we are using two VM server but Windows 2008 doesn't work with SCSI 2 (since ESX is on SCS2) ..this is required for Clustering. So will it be advisable to install SCS/ASCS for different system (ERP Portal BI etc) on Windows 2003 and App server CI and DI on Windows 2008 .All on VMWare.

2. If we installe the DBs for all these applications on Oracle RAC 11g CRS and RDBMS 10.2.0.4 ..what are the important things i need to take care.

Thanks in Adavance and hope to hear from you!!

Regards

Ajay

PS : SAP has't yet recommended yet Oracle CRS 11g but we have no choice.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We are going to use VMWare ESX 3.5 Update 4 for SAP and Database will be on Oracle RAC.

This is not supported:

Note 1173954 - Support of Oracle for VMWare

Markus

0 Kudos

Hi Markus

As per the note i understand that we cann't use the Oracle RAC on VMWare servers.

But in our case SAP s on VMWare windows and Orace RAC is on RedHat Linux on a different physical host.

Is this supported?

Regards

Ajay

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> But in our case SAP s on VMWare windows and Orace RAC is on RedHat Linux on a different physical host.

> Is this supported?

Yes - that is supported.

Markus

0 Kudos

Thanks.Any suggestions for my other two doubts

1.For HA for SCS/ASCS we are using two VM server but Windows 2008 doesn't work with SCSI 2 (since ESX is on SCS2) ..this is required for Clustering. So will it be advisable to install SCS/ASCS for different system (ERP Portal BI etc) on Windows 2003 and App server CI and DI on Windows 2008 .All on VMWare.

2. If we installe the DBs for all these applications on Oracle RAC 11g CRS and RDBMS 10.2.0.4 ..what are the important things i need to take care.

Regards

Ajay

Edited by: Ajay Sandal on Mar 29, 2010 5:18 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ajay,

Yes, this is one approach.

The other approach is, you put your (A)SCS on a 1 vCPU virtual machine and activate the Fault Tolerance feature of VMware.

[SAP Solutions on VMware vSphere: High Availability|http://www.vmware.com/resources/techresources/10031]

Kind regards,

Matthias