cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel upgrade??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have installed new solution manager 7.0 EHP1. It is based on Windows x64 and Oracle 10g.

Presently I have kernel (701) level 32(initial), and I want to upgrade it to 69(latest one in market place). Till now I didn't do any kernel upgrade on 701 system and I followed same method of Kernel 700.

I downloaded the below files

- SAPEXE_69-10005992.SAR

- SAPEXEDB_69-10005996.SAR

I extracted them and stopped SAP and DB (along with services), copied and replaced present 'exe' folder with new files.

After that its showing me red icon for SAP instance in MMC console, and showing two igswd.exe processes in red. The other three process below it (dispatcher, message server and igswd.exe) .

Another strange thing is I am able to login to system and when I checked the its showing old kernel version i.e. 32.

I replaced old kernel, then again everything become green in MMC.

Is there any diffrent method than extracted directory copy paste, that I need to follow?? Or m I doing anything wrong??

Regards,

Ramesh.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramesh,

Is there another directory as:

Drive:/usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/uc/<OS Platform>.

If this directory also exists make sure you copy the new kernel files here also.

Regards

Sourabh Majumdar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suarab,

Thanks for your reply....But this is not I am doing first time.

I copied new extracted files in to <Drive>\usr\sap\SLM\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64.

Thanks

Ramesh.

former_member198270
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ramesh, I am not sure bit it seems your new kenrel which is in /sapmnt/sid/exe is not getting reflected into

/usr/sap/SID/DVE*/exe they both should be in sync.

can you try and let us know.

Regards, Amber S | ITL

Former Member
0 Kudos

As said by Amber paste the new files in the destination /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGSnn/exe. If the files in this location is not in sync latest kernel version might not be shown at SAP level.

Regards

Sourabh Majumdar

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the problem persists paste the contents of file Drive:/usr/sap/<SAPSID>/<INSTANCE NAME>/work/sapcpe.log

Regards

Sourabh Majumdar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

As per I know java instance kernal resides in <Drive>:\usr\sap\SID\DVEBMGS00\exe is contains Java instance Kernel.

Before I use to upgrade only ABAP stack and kernel in <Drive>\usr\sap\SID\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64.

Yesterday I downloaded complete stack 22 for ABAP+JAVA.

Intially I upgraded JAVA stackby using JSPM. In that it also upgrades kernel.

After finishing this, when I check kernel level in ABAP stack then its showing new patch level.

So now my problem is solved.

Regards,

Ramesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramesh,

Good to know that your problem got resolved. However I have some doubts here--

As per I know java instance kernal resides in <Drive>:\usr\sap\SID\DVEBMGS00\exe is 
contains Java instance Kernel.

How come Java kernel resides in this destination? Is it some new concept from SAP?

Also can you explain logically what's the relation between reflection of new kernel level at SAP level with Java stack upgrade? if you have accidentally got any SAP note can you please share that?

Regards

Sourabh Majumdar