Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Named searchs and authorizations to SRM-MDM Catalog 3.0

dmp-dmagi_cml
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I'm using SRM-MDM Catalog 3.0 and Iu2019m trying to restrict users to see only records from one catalogue but Iu2019m not being successful. I have only one repository and have imported different catalogues. I defined named searches to distinguish those catalogues in Data Manager and set the respective named search for each catalogue in Web services.

However, a user with access to catalogue A, can see not only the catalogue A but also all the catalogues in the repository. Seems like the named search is not working or perhaps Iu2019m not defining it very well. Can someone help me with this issue?

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Andreia Nascimento

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DMP,

In SRM MDM Catalog the users can be restricted to view the specific catalog, For this purpose either you can create Named Search or a Mask. Named Search or Mask can be created in MDM Data Manager just filter the specific Catalog and save the search as Named Search or Mask. But before saving a Named search or Mask you should have an entry in the Named Search Table for example ABC and same is in case of Masks.

Defining the Named Search: In MDM Data Manger, Named Searches can be created in Record mode by selecting Named Searches Table.In the Records pane, set the search criteria for the record(s) which user wants to include in the Named Searches either using Free-form search or by using Drill-Down search.

Then from the main menu, choose Search Saved as Named Search this will add the selected records to the previously created Named Search in Record mode.

Now at SRM side you need to configure External Web Services that you can do by going in to SPRO transaction and then Master Data and finally external web services. In web Service you will provide the User name , password to login to MDM repository , MDM Server name and Named Search or Mask name whatever you are maintaining in Data Manager. Now this mask or Named search is associated with the specific user as defined in External Web Service.These web services are known as Catalog ID in SRM.In this web service all the parameters to connect to MDM system and search UI path are given.

After all the configurations, this Catalog ID/external web service Id is assigned to some specific users or to some purchasing organizations in organizational structure.

Regards,

Vinay Yadav

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

dmp-dmagi_cml
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you for your answers!!

I think my issue is solved. In fact, I was not able to define different named searches for the same User because with this setting I could see all the records. I suppose itu2019s because I was setting the same role and the same user for every named search. Now I created different users and different roles (copy of Catalog User role) and set the constraint for each named search and it works.

I have just one more question. Only for those users that have roles created by copy of u201CCatalog User Roleu201D it's not possible to logon on configuration UI. Can you explain me the reason for this behavior?

Many thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Andreia Nascimento

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have just one more question. Only for those users that have roles created by copy of u201CCatalog User Roleu201D it's not possible to logon on configuration UI. Can you explain me the reason for this behavior?

See we have two things here in SRM MDM Catalog: Search UI and Config UI.

Search UI (where you see your catalog Items) is based on settings which you do in Config UI.

You will see in Config UI after accessing with User Master and Password Blank, you can do settings for User's like which should be Search fields, OCI mappings etc and all the users which you select there belongs to Catalog User Role only. I mean you will see there User's in drop down list as User1, User2, User3, User4, User5 etc. you will see all these User's coming here in drop-down list of Config UI belongs to Catalog User Role which you can cross-check in MDM Console under Role.

That's why Catalog User Role is important. SAP has created Search UI in such a way that it is accessible to all the user's belong to Catalog User Role only.

Just Check and Revert with result if you still have this issue.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you said,

Now I created different users and different roles (copy of Catalog User role) and set the constraint for each named search and it works.

This is not the right way to do it. In SRM-MDM Catalog there is "Catalog User" is the designated role and user having same role should only be specified in SRM Web-service. If you create copy of catalog user role, then it will not work. I mean, These users will not be available in the drop down list of COnfig UI for view and Fields configurations.

To restrict Catalog user to certain records, you need not to specify constraint in Console. Because if you specify named search constraint in Console, it will act on all the users and so on all the catalogs defined in SRM system. so this is not suggested. Infact, Named search parameters should be defined in SRM webservice for such kind of requirements.

Your second question,

you can login to Config UI only with the user that has "UI Configuration Manager" Role assigned in Console. For example, "Master", Once you login to Config UI then you can configure Catalog views for different Users having Catalog User role assigned in Console. Check and your users which have "copy of catalog user " role won;t be available in the drop down list of Config UI for configuration.

Regards,

Shiv

dmp-dmagi_cml
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep,

Thatu2019s exactly the point. On config UI itu2019s only possible to change the specific settings for users that have u201CCatalog User roleu201D assigned.

As I am creating roles which are copied of the original u201CCatalog User roleu201D I cannot change any settings for those users right? Therefore the settings for these specific users are equal to those of u201CCatalog User roleu201D by the time it was createdu2026

Thanks!

dmp-dmagi_cml
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shiv,

Many thanks for your answer.

I believe this is not the right way to do it, but unfortunately Iu2019m not able to restrict catalog user for certain records only with named search parameters.

Iu2019ve followed your steps to create the named search and to define it in web services and it simply doesnu2019t work. Itu2019s like I have not defined the named search. However in Data Manager when I choose the specific named search it shows the records according to specific settings defined in named search, as it should beu2026 But in EP I can see all the records...

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am working on SRM-MDM Catalog 2.0 and with this version Named search parameter of web service definition works fine and restricts records on EBP.

I think, you should specify only those constraint on Console which are applicable to all the catalog defined in SRM, for example restricting unapproved records. other case to use Console constraint could be when you have only one Catalog to be defined in SRM.

I would suggest, if named search parameter is not working with your version, then create an OSS message and check with SAP on this, rather than going for any workaround.

Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I haven't got opportunity to work on multiple webservics defined in SRM MDM Catalog 3.0.

But i have worked on SRM MDM Catalog 2.0 many times, where i defined only single webservice and named search worked perfectly there.

After defined the named search say N in MDM Data Manager which include selected records according to some search criteria. Go to Console under roles table-select the particular role-under tables and field tab-Named search- there add constraint as N. In webservice defined, then add the N in call structure. Then user assigned to this role will see only the Named Search records.

But since all the users is assigned to Catalog User Role only then all the User's will see this records for same Named Search. As per my understanding, may be you would not able to define Named Search for each User because distinct Named Search you have to defined in Constraint under Role but the point is Users share the Same Role. If you could able to define different role other than Catalog User also then may be you would able to define different named searches according to user's which are assigned to different roles(select different named searches under Constraints).

Refer this thread with similar issue,

This thread includes this information: As per SAP configuration guide, either we can assign mask to catalog items and calling that mask through OCI parameter Mask in external web services or we can assign mask to role in tables & fields in Console and assign that role to MDM User (OCI parameter User in external web services), Here i would suggest also rather than going into mdm console you need to check this OCI parameter for Named Search too exists there or not, if it is there try using this OCI parameter for each user's and select correspondingly named searches defined by you in MDM Data Manager.

Also refer, this SAP Note: https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1153525

Hope this helps..

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think, you missed something while defining named search.

Please follow below procedure and check where you missed:

1. Open data manager in Record mode and go to "VIEW>Select Table>More-->Named Searches" menu to select the named search table.

2. Right click on the record pane and select add to create a new named search. Provide the name for named search and save it.

3. Open Catalog Items Main table again. and specify search criteria (*filter criteria by which you want to restrict user).

4. Go to Search Selection tab in record mode to cross check if filter criteria has been correctly specified.

5. Now To save the current search selections as a named search, Choose Search--> Save as Named Search from the main menu and select the named search to which you want to save the current search selections from the cascading menu of named searches.

6. Now configure entries in the catalog web services as follows:

1. Enter the parameter name as namedsearch.

2. Enter the corresponding parameter value (Named search which you created).

3. Set the type as Fixed Value.

Please check it and let me know if it is resolved.

Regards,

Shiv

-

one tip while saving a named search, You can turn off limiting in the Search Parameters tabs by choosing View > No Limiting from the main menu. This will show you all possible values of subtables rather than showing only those values which are associated with records.

To turn limiting back on, choose the View > No Limiting command again.