Will we need party everytime for all the seeburger/EDI interfaces

Or EDI interfaces can be done wothout party

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

No its not mandatory to have parties for seeburger interfaces. But since they are generally used for B2B communication we go for Parties in PI

Regards

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suraj and Andre,

Both of u suggest that it is recommended to use party for EDI scenarios.

Can you precisely let me know what advantage does it provide

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Suppose different clients in EDI or ..using the same VAN then we group that clients with one party. In the party they mention DUNS number, by suing that DUNS number system easily understands that this is from so and so customer.

Regards

Ramesh

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>Can you precisely let me know what advantage does it provide

By using parties you can uniquely identify them based on an identifier. Each party used in EDI interface will have an identifier, so whenever a message is sent to PI, it can identify the sender through these ids. This not possible with normal business service or systems

Similarly it is advisable to provide the service of PI as a party to the end customers, so that they can uniquely identify PI's message in their environment.

Please check forums/blogs on this and you get many. For eg:

/people/kevin.benedict/blog/2009/09/14/sap--why-do-they-care-about-edi-and-b2b

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/09/08/b2b-and-the-hype-about-the-party

/people/kevin.benedict/blog/2008/10/28/managed-b2b-edi-services-for-sap

Regards

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suraj,

But if we create a seperate service for each of the sender / reeciver then it will also serve the same purpose right ?

e.f BS_Service_00001 , BS_Service_00002 like that where 00001 and 00002 are identifications of sender

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we can also develop several Business services like BS_0001 and BS_0002 instead of party

the only advantage of the party that is coming to my mind right now is if we create business service for each sender id like

BS_0001 and BS_0002 etc...we will have to create a lot of objects in ID....instead if we use party we can just add a entry in schema, agency , value..

Can anyone let me know if my assumption is correct ????

Appropriate points will be given..

Edited by: PP Mehta on Mar 26, 2010 2:21 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

guys pl let me know if my above assumption is correct.

your answer will be very helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The primary reason for creating a Party is in case of Business to Business (B to B) scenarios.

When systems of two different organisations are integrated using XI, the receiver system needs to identify the sender system. Hence a Party is created where a DUNS number or some other standard for the sender system is used for its identification.

Whereas if both the systems integrated using PI are within the same landscape or same organisation, Business system or business service is used as only the system's identification is essential. This is an Application to application (A to A) Integration.

This is one of the difference between Party and Business System.

Regards,

Milan Thaker

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more hint: if you tranfer the EDI data via X.400, then using party is mandatory, because only there you can maintain the X.400 identifier, which is needed by the Seeburger X.400 adapter.

CSY

Former Member
0 Kudos

A party is not mandatory for configuration in IB.

Only a Communication Component like a Business System, Business Component or an Integration Process is mandatory.

But by implementing a B2B scenario also the usage of a party is recommended.

cheers,

André