cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting the files from exception folders

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All

We are on MDM 5.5 sp06 using auto import and syndication.

Whenever the files to be imported are having value exceptions logs are written in the parent Exception folder as well as the file is also placed in the ValueX subfolder within the exception folder which contains the virtual extended records.

What is the recommended way of deleting the log files in parent exception folder and the source files from the ValueX/Structure subfolders?

Can we set up some archiving process? Is there any standard methods available? Please share the methods used in similar situations.

thanks in advance-

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

My thoughts are:

With MDM 5.5 , MDM PI adapter is not available, so you can not use alerts of PI. with MDM 7.1 also, PI can send alerts only for exception in import of Main table data, and not for the reference data import (*as standard PI is not used for import of reference data from any SAP system to MDM)

With Value and import exceptions, import server will just write exceptional files and log and will continue to import data from other import files. but Structural exceptions can block import port and will not do import from any other data file till exception is fixed.

Although you can set port property "Block on structural exception" to "No". By doing this port will not be blocked if any structural exception occurs and will continue to import data from other files. But it is not recommended.

I would suggest to scan exception directories using unix script and in case any exception occurs, move exceptional import data file and exception log file to any other file directory from script automatically. additional code can be written in script to send email notification to the user of the exception. Now, as soon as get user get time, will look in to exceptional files in the directory and will import data from that file by fixing exception.

I think , alerts of exception can also be sent from CCMS. So, if you have this implemented for monitoring, then code for email notification can be removed from script.

Regards,

Shiv

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks All.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Whenever files come to Value/Structure Exception folder, Recommended way is to Go to Import Manager, Select Type as Port, Remote system as per your requirement, Port as Filename(Exception) select and Finish it. Once your Import Manager opens, Go to Import Status Tab check Action Items for take the desired action to import that file. In this way you will come to know what are the fields and values which need to be mapped. Once it maps you can import this file in one shot and data will be populated into MDM. Moreover, you should save the map as soon as you import the exception file, so that if there are more files already existing with the same exception would not have trouble while importing.

Other alternative, you can delete these files manually by going to Value/Structure exception folder first, i think by deleting these files from Value/Exception folder automatically deletes the file in the parent exception folder. If it is not getting delete then you have to manually delete these log files from parent folder too. I mean you should always delete files from Value/Structure Exceptions first then need to delete from Parent Exception folder if files are there.

Now with MDM 7.1 SP4, SAP has provided a way to send alerts(alert configuration) through e-mails using PI (MDM PI Adapter) if any files goes to exception folders. But as you are on MDM 5.5 SP06, you still have a way to send alerts through e-mails using Solution Manager 7.0, SMD & Wily Introscope. Refer this article for more details, How to Automate Monitoring of MDM Import Port for Inbound Exceptions.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/30aa4934-cc63-2c10-0491-d312a106f...

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mandeep and Shiv

We are also deleting the files manually on a daily/weekly basis which is tiring job.

I was more interested in knowing any standard way of doing this.

Is there any plan from SAP to provide an automatic arhiving process for the files from the inbound/outbound folders which can be configured in the mdis/mdss for each repository may be??

thanks

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi,

I don't think, there should be any requirement to give such kind of functionality by SAP with tool specific commands. Its because to delete a file from any folder is a windows based task and windows provide DEL command to delete files from any folder.

The best way is to schedule a background windows job periodically using DEL command or MOVE command (if you want to keep any file to other drive).

BR,

Alok Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

I agree with Alok regarding moving files to some other folder. Moreover, SAP wants you to have a look at these exceptions occurrence and the reason why exception occurs. That's why these files should not move to other folder provided by SAP.

We are also deleting the files manually on a daily/weekly basis which is tiring job.

Firstly, it seems like you are not correcting the exceptions frequently. I mean Why you let this exceptions occur everytime and need to do tiring job daily/weekly.

I was more interested in knowing any standard way of doing this.

Recommended way as given in above post is the only standard way of exceptions file dealing. See, saving the map after correcting the exception, this same exception will never occur again and you can control your exceptions occurrence. I am sure using this approach one day you will have your files import without exceptions. I mean you would really have controlled the exceptions occurrence rarely to sometimes not daily.

One good way of dealing with exceptions: Say you have 10 files in your exception folder. All this files have the same exception say country value IND which is not in your repository. So when you corrected 1st file with recommended way and saved this map. for the rest of 9 files, you just need to cut it from value exception folder and put/paste it there again in

ready folder. In this way, now all these 9 files imported successfully into MDM without any exception.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini