cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPInstallation on newhost with different hostname

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru's:

We have installed ECC Development environment on virtual environment with host SAPECD. We are planning to move virtual host to physical host and planning to do system copy on new host.

For lesser downtime, we are looking into different options and utilize SAN functionality for LUN. We would like to build new ECD on host i.e SAPECDB with variable SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME = SAPECD (oldhostname) while old host is up in the network. After installation, we would like to rename new host SAPECDB to SAPECD and bringdown actual host.

When we are trying to install with different host name, it is trying to access
sapecd\sapmnt and giving error as access denied. We would like to change hostname through keydb or otherway so it willl not look
sapecd\sapmnt and will install it as mount
sapecdb\sapmnt.

After install during switchover we can always update mount with correct name. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Miral.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Miral,

You can use the below steps to achive your goal...

1. Install operating system on new system with hostname SAPECDB.

2. Take the offline backup of Source system and then transfer it to target system (SAPECDB).

3. Change the IP Address of the target system (put it in different subnet).

4. Change the Hostname of target system from SAPECDB to SAPECD.

5. Do a system copy using Offline backup on target system.

6. Once target syste is up, take the Source system offline.

7. Then you can change IP Address as the source system.

You can change Hostname and IP Address after installation. Please see the below note for the same.

[Note 8307 - Changing host name on R/3 host: What do you do?|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/8307]

[Note 403708 - Changing an IP address|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/403708]

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rajesh. I already checked with network/systems team they said it they do not have luxury/flexibility of changing ip address/subnet.

Is their any other option?

Thanks,

Miral.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Miral,

I don't think you need any assistance from your network team to do this.

Anyway you will be having Admin rights on the target system, so you can also change the IP address.

It will not affect existing network environment as the IP you will be using for target system is totally different from the range you are using on your network. You just need to use the IP Address range (subnet) which do not exist in your network. It is just to isolate your target system from your network during installation time.

Later you are again changing the IP Address back same as your source system. So you don't need to approve the new IP for this task.

I hope, you got what I want to say...

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here's what I would do:

1. Install operating system on new system with hostname SAPECDB.

2. install SAP and database on new server

3. when ready, shutdown source system completely (OS included)

4. ask your SAN admin to move partitions/disks from old server to new server. (that takes less than 15 minutes)

5. ask your network admin to map SAPECD with an alias to SAPECDB

6. start the new system

You might need to play around with a few settings here and there, check homogeneous system copy guide to get these steps.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We used SAN technology snapshot method for hardware switch.