SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMIGALL: migration project

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am looking for some documentation regarding migration projects. In particular:

• Roadmap of a migration project.

• Main aspects when planning a migration project.

• Best practices.

• Which are the parameters to consider in order to estimate time, resources, and so on.

As you see, the query is more related to the plannig point of view than technical point of view(how to use the tool).

Thanks, in advance for your help.

15 REPLIES 15

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

Hi Shashi,

thanks for your answer, what do you mean with my personal id.

Thanks

Edited by: i017240 on Mar 25, 2010 9:57 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Not sure how easily documentation from previous/other projects can be adapted to your specific scenario.

I've been involved in many IS-U migration projects over the last decade and they were all completely different from each other, starting with the number of customer/accounts (from 100,000 to 18,000,000), the number of different scenarios (single/multi division, low/high meter complexities, meterread, billing and financial history), with/without auxiliary systems (like CRM, BI)... this makes the job so interesting over such a long period

Here some tips:

• Start early in the project with the migration design and development, even without all the functional requirements available

• Keep it flexible, there will always be changes from a functional point of view (almost certainly when you want to have a code freeze)

• Testing, testing, testing. I've never loaded a single object without a previous test (and over time we're talking billions of objects)

• One person/developer should not handle more than two to four migration objects, dependent on the complexity

Yep

Jürgen

0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen,

You are correct, documentation of one implementation may not be suitable for another client.

However, the sharing the experience is quite useful.

This is my first implementation project in ISU. Right now we are working for a client and project is at initial status. We are understanding the legacy system. we have identified the structures in ISU and in legacy and we are now doing the mapping exercise.

I have studied the various documents on Emigall and even documentation provided by SAP. I have used EMIGALL on a support project (Just modified the objects etc..) however I have not used it for an Implementation project (for data migration of 3,00,000 customers).

I would like to know the sequence of steps to be performed for data migration both techincally and functionally.

For example:

what is sequence of emigall objects to be uploaded? ( Here the number of objects depends on business requirement )

Once we collected all the information of objects and prepared flat files, How do we actually perform emigall runs.

Please share your project implementation experience.

Thanks in Advance.

Vijay Kumar

0 Kudos

Sorry guys, I haven't had any time lately.

Obviously, I can't write down all my experience, because it would take way too long. I also don't know what you don't know.

Anyway, I can answer specific questions, so here we go:

Order of migration objects

The order, the migration objects have to be imported, is defined by the Key and Status Management (table TEMKSV). For each object field with processing type 5 there's a dependecy to another object, that has to be imported beforehand. So after identifying all fields of an object you want to populate, there's a list of objects that have to be imported beforehand. You can see the list under EMIGALL menu item Migration Object: Display, then go to Relationship Data.

You can see a relationship diagram when pushing Object Hierarchy.

EMIGALL import runs

For testing purpose a single file can easily be imported via EMIGALL menu item Migration object: Data import. The load program has to be generated beforehand (see EMIGALL Menu item: Generate Report).

For end-to-end testing and the productive load there's a job scheduler. Everything can be set-up and run under EMIGALL menu item Utilities: Schedule import jobs. I have to admit, that I didn't use it myself, because at my last major migration project, which went over 5 years, I've developed a framework around the IS-U migration tool to meet the clients requirements (I'm not going into details because Fritz Keller wouldn't be happy with everyone doing something like that).

I hope that helps

Jürgen

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen,

no worries, feel free to share whatever you want to share since this will save my job longterm   However, I do understand that we have to mind the right of your IP  

Cheers,

Fritz

0 Kudos

Hi,

Jürgen is absolutely correct saying that all migration projects are diffierent except for the central tool for the data load that is the ISMW. Documentation of this tool is available but does not save you the effort understanding not only the technical requirements but also the functional requirements as well as the expertise to setup a pplan that does not only fullfill migration specfific requirements but also is embedded in the overall project plan. The truth is: it is not that easy as it sometimes looks like.

Setting up a migration project from scratch that includes the full setup of the ETL processes, understanding the legacy system and the so-called "data quality" of the data to be transferred, dealing with continous changes or even no timely response of the functional teams, with no progress in the data cleansing area, with performance requirements that can be hardly fullfilled, with setbacks of many causes, 7x24 hs work, work during the weekend, .... all these challenges have to be fully understood to setup a feasable migration project and make it a success in the end ....

Just my five cents ...

Cheers, Fritz   

0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen,

I have a question in data migration for ISU, My target system is S4 HANA, so still EMIGALL can be used here when migrating from legacy or any difference?

LeeFung
Participant
0 Kudos

I am looking for some training materials for EMIGALL. I read Friedrich Keller's training documentation and can do ISMW/EMigall data reports and imports... but I am stuck at one point... the EMIGALL import file, can it reside on the SAP server, or local machine, or both? How is this configured/ ? Thanks.

Any standard SAP course teaching EMIGALL?

0 Kudos

Dear Lifeng,

the ISMW load reports always access the import files on the file system of the SAP application server or a connected share. However, there is an option to up- and download import files from your desktop via the import file editor.  Alternatively, you can copy the import files either by FTP or if you connect to the same share zto which the application servers are connected.

Kind regards,

Fritz

0 Kudos

Friedrich:

In your EMIGALL documentation you mentioned SAP COURSE: IUTW90.

Where can I find this course?  What is its replacement if SAP COURSE: IUTW90  is not existent anymore?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Dear Lifeng,

The SAP IUTW90 training is given on demand usually at customer site.

However, there is a ISMW guideline available you find service.sap.com/utilities -> Technical Information Center -> Migration.

See also http://scn.sap.com/thread/1515659.

Kind regards,

Fritz

Astrid_Gambill
Contributor
0 Kudos

There's a Data Transfer class - BC420 that covers BDC, LSMW etc, but it has no EMIGALL content, it being such a utility specific tool.  I did BC420 a few years ago and the instructor hadn't even heard of EMIGALL.

0 Kudos

Dear Astrid,

Yes I agree, BC420 does not cover any aspect of the ISMW and it is not a big surprise that the ISMW (TxA EMIGALL) is not well known outside of the IS-U space.

However, and I beg your pardon for this, I'd like to complete your statement saying that the ISMW is not only a utility specific migration tool but a data load/migration tool for various FI-CA based industry solutions, sich as IS-U, FS-CD, IS-T, PS-CD ...

Cheers,

Fritz