cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BACKUP To Maped Network Drive

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys.

Has anyone ever done SQL DB backup directly onto a maped network drive?

We've got a really huge DB 100GB+ that just wont fit into the local Hard Disk for backup.

Regards

Gokul Borse

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Possible - yes. What's the problem?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marks

Actually I MAP the Y: Drive from another Server and I would like to backup on this drive, but MS SQL Server 2005 is not displayed the MAP drive in the drive list. How I can backup on this MAP drive thru MS SQL server

Regards

Gokul Borse

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

It is OK to backup a database to the local drive (C:) on SQL Server 2005. But when I tried to backup a database to a mapped network drive (Y:) on the server, it failed. Here is the message:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: Cannot open backup device '
networkpath\Y:\db.bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is Denied.). (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

The network drive N: is accessible through Windows Explorer.

Regards

Gokul Borse

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Actually I MAP the Y: Drive from another Server and I would like to backup on this drive, but MS SQL Server 2005 is not displayed the MAP drive in the drive list. How I can backup on this MAP drive thru MS SQL server

Don't use mapped drive letters, they are user dependent. Use UNC names such as

\\<servername>\share

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Markus

I used UNC as u suggest,( i.e.
server name\sharename ) but till I got same error message, What I can do? How I can backup?

Regards

Gokul Borse

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I used UNC as u suggest,( i.e.
server name\sharename ) but till I got same error message, What I can do? How I can backup?

The user running the database (not the user you're logged on with) must be permitted to connect to the remote server. you have to configure the share on the remote system and give permissions.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

but Its actaully work in windows explorer and command prompt, I can copy or move files from windows explorer, only not from MS SQL server. If I wrong, Please explain me how I can configure

Gokul Borse

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> but Its actaully work in windows explorer and command prompt, I can copy or move files from windows explorer, only not from MS SQL server. If I wrong, Please explain me how I can configure

As I said, you have to configure it for the user running the database server process, not your logged on user; they are different. check your services who is running the Sql Server and for that user you have to configure permissions on the remote server.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gokul,

Markus is right !....

-

In addition to the Markus suggestion.

If the SAP is not in "Windows Domain" environment and the backup destination system is non-domain system, you need to assign at least "Write" Permission to the share folder on target system.

For Everyone Group:

Share Permission = Change

NTFS Permission = Write

"It is not recommended to give change/write permission to EVERYONE group for security reason." But just for testing you can do it..

One more thing you need to create exactly same operating system user (with same password) on destination system as SAP system, to get authenticated as source (SAP) system under which the SQL server is running...

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

I give full permission to everyone of shared folder and my boths servers are login with Administrator with same password, I dont know where is wrong? till I got same message

Regards

Gokul B. Borse

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can see under which user SQL server is running in SQL server service properties (Log on tab).

Log in as that user and then try to copy files on the destination. see if you can successfully copy the file on destination system.

Then try again...

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gokul,

it doesn't matter with which user you're logged on. The user running the process sqlservr.exe is the one connecting to the remote machine, not the user you're logging on.

So please check your services (start - execute - services.msc), doubleclick on SQL Server and look which user is running that service. This user must have permissions for the remote system.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

I'm giving the permission,and check the user log in from services, administrator is the user login and both servers having same user and same password. and shared folder having full permission to every one. but till i'm getting same message.

Regard

Gokul Borse

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Markrus, I have check the user and administrator is the login user and having remote permission.

Regard

Gokul

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Yes Markrus, I have check the user and administrator is the login user

I repeat again (for the fourth time): The login user is of no relevance for your actual problem.

If the database is running and you open the task manager, under which user is sqlservr.exe running?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I have connect the another hard disk to server and taken backup on this hard disk

Thanks to Gurus